Pls can you send me the pdf Swaledale miniguide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 27 Mar 2021

The link is dead and I'm hoping to be in Swaledale late summer.

Thanks!

petegunn 27 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

I've asked Steve Crowe to see if he will put it back up on his Climbonline site but no joy yet

Maybe you could contact him as well.

Post edited at 16:58
 petegunn 27 Mar 2021

There was a wealth of crag topos on Climbonline for a long time, many of which were/are not in any guide including Steves 2003 guide, North East England. Unfortunately all of these have gone and many are not available anywhere else.

Unknown Stones has Water Crag but all the Swaledale topos are missing, Fell End Boulders, Carrs, Monks Moor Boulders, Kelton etc. Most of the crags are on the ukc data base but without the topos for the bouldering the names are useless, as the crags have lots of blocks and buttresses spread out all over. They might be worth "rediscovering" and new names and topos drawn up if they cant be found or reinstated. 

The following crags are in Stew Wilsons, North of England Rock Climbs if you can find a copy: Applegarth, Hagg Wood, Orgate Scar etc. so the climbs are identifiable from the descriptions. 

Post edited at 18:00
Removed User 28 Mar 2021
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks, do you know why they've been taken down?

Lankyman 28 Mar 2021

> Thanks, do you know why they've been taken down?

Possibly the writing of a new guidebook? There are a lot of relatively obscure crags that aren't covered in a current guidebook now. While the success stories like Slipstones are well served backwaters are forgotten and lost to the climbing community and the historical record. The old North of England guide (Stew Wilson, 1992) was the last time many of the Swaledale (and other areas) crags were in print. Similarly, a lot of Yorkshire limestone trad development since the 2005 guide is no longer available since the demise of the Leeds Wall website.

AdrianC 28 Mar 2021

Yhm.

Chris Reid 26 Apr 2021

Does anybody know of a new guide being written?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...