Peak Experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm writing a book with a working title 'modern climber in search of a soul'. It's a reaction to the culture shift in the activity from esoteric pastime to sanitised product. When I say book it's really a set of short statements and observations with a photo next to each page. 

Last year I read a fair few Colin Wilson essays, I think he's great, such an eccentric and totally doing his own thing. I think he might have been right about the energy vampires.....

He talks a fair bit about peak experience, and it reminded me of the heady days of Gritstone Headpointing and how it relates to Graham Greene's game off Russian Roulette, head pointing being quite a debased hit. This is the page below

The Koan of Peak Experience

In the 1980’s and 90’s designer danger became fashionable at the cutting edge of the British climbing scene. Climbers frequently refer to transcending the ordinary when placing themselves in positions of extreme duress. Initially novel experiences may devolve into the ordinary and require increasingly challenging situations to find.

Abraham Maslow described a transcendent state of mind he called the ‘Peak Experience’. An altered state of consciousness difficult to articulate, mystical, aesthetic and often profound. In talking about Peak Experience Colin Wilson refers to a 16yr old Graham Greene’s search for relief from boredom in a game of Russian Roulette he played with his brothers revolver. Here he achieved something both divine and debased.

‘I put the muzzle of the revolver into my right ear and pulled the trigger. There was a minute click, and looking down at the chamber I could see that the charge had moved into the firing position. I was out by one. I remember an extraordinary sense of jubilation, as if a carnival lights had been switched on in a dark drab street. My heart knocked in its cage, and life contained an infinite number of possibilities…’

‘Then it was a sodden unfrequented lane. The revolver would be whipped behind my back, the chamber twisted, the muzzle quickly and surreptitiously inserted in my ear beneath the black winter trees, the trigger pulled.

Slowly the effect of the drug wore off—I lost the sense of jubilation, I began to receive from the experience only the crude kick of excitement. It was the difference between love and lust.’

wbo2 13 Jun 2022
In reply to schrodingers_dog: I think it's interesting that you seem very keen on people doing there own thing, and being eccentric, and away from the norms of others but you seem to frame all your own activities and thoughts in the context of other people, and their theories and philosophies.

In reply to wbo2:

I’m not sure what you’re saying. I believe, as fundamentally interpersonal beings we experience ourselves through the minds of others. Learning through Fiction is a great example of this as is the mentalisation and reflection process that occurs through healthy parenting for example. 

Duncan Bourne 13 Jun 2022
In reply to schrodingers_dog:

It is definitely the thing to look for the next big hit. I had it with chillis. Lots of chillis give you a blast but then you get used to the chillis so you need more chillis to get the same blast.

When you first climb VD seems scary but then you get used to it and look for something a little more challenging. Eventually most people reach the level of challenge they are happy with but for some it is like chillis.

It isn't just the danger though, it is also the physical and mental challenge that drives

Kevster 13 Jun 2022

I guess it depends what path you tread with climbing. 

Personally sea cliff trad presses the most buttons for me. I suspect that trad makes me a minority to start. And sea cliff further so. 

I wouldn't call it sanitised, though still a reasonably well troden path, and for the most part safe as I choose to make it. 

I don't boulder because there's too much risk (primarily to my knees). Bouldering quite possibly has the greatest participation in the UK. So in a sense I am taking the low risk option, for me. 

So in short. It's all about angles. 

What angle are you taking on your book? I am unclear from the op what the question/ angle actually is. 

Enjoy the writing. Maybe it's the process and not the end result?

In reply to Kevster:

Excellent, sea cliff climbing is gold dust, I can't think of anything that beats it and generally speaking not sanitised at all, unless you go to Sardinia etc. It's hard to put into words why it's so fantastic isn't it? I recently discovered the word 'numinous' which I think covers it for me. 

The angle of the book is taking a range of philosophical, metaphysical and some physical ideas e.g. peak experience or subjective truth and looking at them in someways through the lens of climbing. 

I believe the cultural shift in climbing is representative of the broader cultural shift towards an intensely materialistic, consumption based world where everything is grabbed and 'got'. I think the current trends in training and coaching represent part of this culture shift in which people pay to obtain a desired number. I think this approach to climbing and life is fundamentally flawed and hope by exploring the ideas of others with my own I can contribute something. 

In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Yeah man, chillis get you like that. You know you've got problems when you thrive on eye watering chilli pain and you can't go without them. I knew a guy who always carried an extra hot tabasco sauce around with him, whenever he went out or to others for dinner he'd splash that shit all over his food. Loved it. I don't think his partner was to happy tho 

I'm the opposite.  I've done my fair share of sea cliff climbing but the additional faff, tides, abseiling, keeping the ropes out of the water etc. not to mention the added seriousness and not being able to see the line puts me off somewhat.  I much prefer to see the cliff I'm about to climb as I approach it. having said that some of the finest climbing I've experienced is on sea cliffs. Pembroke with a walk in approach would be fabulous.

How on earth has this achieved mostly down ticks? Is the appetite for the esoteric and uncanny really that low? I guess it could be drones from ukb and the covid stazi.... mmmmmmm 🥴

In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

I hear what yer saying, still nowt beats being above the waves with the crispy crimps and crusty flora 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...