Northumberland Coast AONB Deep Water Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henrycusack 24 Sep 2021

I'm heading up to Craster next week for a family holiday and I have seen that there is some cliff jumping on the coastline near where I am staying. I am just wondering if anyone has ever tried any cliff jumping/DWS around there that could give me some recommendations before I get a chance to travel up and check it out myself.

Thanks for any recommendations! 

Toerag 24 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

Why on earth did anyone give you a dislike for that?!

acrkirby 24 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

I've stayed near to craster fairly often and cant remember seeing any possibilities, but please update this post if you do find some

petegunn 24 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

The Northumberland coastline is well known for its long sandy beaches rather than dramatic cliffs. I know there are some "sea cliffs" where there is climbing but I've never heard of any dws venues. Though if you find any please put them up on here. 

There are some great beach breaks for surfing if you've got boards though and the inland crags are not too far away for climbing/bouldering.

Lankyman 24 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

I walked from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle a few years ago. Lovely walk and the castle does sit on rock but don't recall anything you'd climb on. Also walked to the castle from the other side (great beach!) but again, nothing worth cragging on. Maybe if you could get to the Farnes ....?

Dan Arkle 24 Sep 2021

In reply to:

There are a few crags nearby on the database.

The is a picture of Cullernose Point which looks optimistic.

On the whole I think they would be dirty, birdy, and scary.

Ian W 24 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

the nature of the coastline is highly unsuitable to DWS; the rocky bits are rocky under the water as well; there is great fun to be had coasteering (or messing about on the rocks as we called it when kids), but no DWS. The decent climbing crags (Bowden / kyloe) are only 20 / 30 mins away from Craster, and you'll enjoy the coast itself much more without thinking of anything beyond bouldering on some of the outcrops / small cliffs. and the rocks are bloody sharp.......

From craster, walk south past Howick to boulmer, or north past the castle and head up to newton / beadnell (how far do you want to go........) for some spectacular coastal walks.

I would also very strongly advise against trying to climb on the farnes. Quite apart from the logistics of getting there, its a nature reserve with huge breeding colonies of puffins and grey seals. And the water is effing freezing, with very interesting currents....

So; coastal walks, and a short drive to classic crags. Still a brill place for a holiday, and that area is probably my second favourite place on the planet.

Slackboot 25 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

I grew up in Northumberland and started climbing there back in the 70's. Cullernose Point was a great crag though a serious one. I am told that it is covered in Fulmars now. There are sea cliffs up at St. Abbs Head and an interesting sea stack  The Souter (Fastcastle). Also  Spittal is a venue for the harder climber though it does not have water at its base. 

I can't remember anywhere giving 'safe' deepwater solo's. If you want great places to solo stuff then inland at Bowden Doors Back Bowden Doors and Kyloe-in-the-woods (Kyloe-In)are the places to go. They have great bouldering traverses. I'm not saying that they are very easy though!

Post edited at 04:42
 Derek Furze 25 Sep 2021
In reply to henrycusack:

I seem to remember Jack Rock was above a river.,.

Slackboot 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Derek Furze:

> I seem to remember Jack Rock was above a river.,.

It's above the River Coquet not too far from Warkworth. It was my local crag when I was a teenager. I liked it. High Board (HS 4c) is a great climb and a good one to solo. If you fall off the crux, part of you will probably end up in the water! There is another crag at the other side of the river called Jill Rock which you have to wade and swim to. It's not on the database here. It wasn't as good.

Franco Cookson 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

If you dws the souter stack, I'll buy you a pint.

Slackboot 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Hi Franco. I will give it a miss. I don't drink anyway. I first did The Souter 50 years ago and some new routes at Fastcasle. I think we were some of the first to go to Spittal Crag. How's your dad by the way? 😉 Tell him I'm asking after him.

In reply to Slackboot:

Respect for the not drinking. I'd love to pass on your regards - if only I knew who you were... are you sure you know him? He doesn't climb...

Slackboot 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Franco Cookson:

I knew that would reel you in! 😊 I have been to their house quite a few times. Your dad has climbed though, and I have known you since you were little. I must say I am amazed at your climbing ability and your guidebook is great. Sadly I can't divulge my identity as I am on a secret mission. If you discovered who I was you would have to be liquidated. And that would be too great a loss to the world of climbing, not to mention your mam and dad. Sorry. Keep up the good work!

Post edited at 10:38
In reply to Slackboot:

Haha! I did drag him out for a short time as a kid, didn't last though. 

Post edited at 13:08
In reply to henrycusack:

If I remember correctly there is an interesting looking boulder in a cove somewhere between Craster and Boulmer. Can't recall it's name though.

Enjoy the whisky and smoked crab soup from the pub in Craster. Alone it is worth the trip. 

Ian W 25 Sep 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Thats at Howick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...