North Wales Slate - UNESCO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 28 Jul 2021

I noticed earlier that the Welsh 'Slate Landscape' has been granted world heritage status. Does anyone in the know have any idea if this will make access harder for us, or cause problems in the future?

Cheers
Michael

Post edited at 18:01
 Derry 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

Without knowing the access issues currently in the slate quarries, I can compare to Portland which makes up about 9 (of 95) miles of the World Heritage Jurassic Coast. Since being inscripted in 2001 it hasn't affected access as far as I know, and more climbs are being bolted every week. So it certainly hasn't affected climbing per se. There are obviously more tourists around, but only at hot-spots along the coast - e.g. Durdle Door.

I also work quite closely with the Jurassic Coast trust and their strategic plan is to certainly make sure the WHSite is welcome to all comers to enjoy the many different aspects of the coastline, rather than just going for a fossil hunt at Lyme Regis or Kimmeridge.

edit for typos

Post edited at 18:11
In reply to Tigger:

Does anyone know exactly where is included? Dinorwig and penrhyn presumably, but also Cwmorthin? Aberllefenni? Corris?

B-team 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

As climbers, I think we should welcome this as a salute to the generations of miners who toiled and sometimes died in creating the incredible landscape in which we now get to play our games. 

Ben Farley 28 Jul 2021
In reply to B-team:

> As climbers, I think we should welcome this as a salute to the generations of miners who toiled and sometimes died in creating the incredible landscape in which we now get to play our games. 

Absolutely. Very well put. 

B-team 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

Cheers Ben (from your old friend, AP).

Myfyr Tomos 28 Jul 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

From what I can make out, there are 6 quarrying areas included.

1. Penrhyn Quarry (Bethesda) and the Ogwen Valley down to Port Penrhyn.

2. Dinorwig Quarry and the mountain quarrying landscape.

3. Dyffryn Nantlle Quarries.

4. Gorseddau and Prince of Wales Quarries (Cwm Pennant) including the tramway and mill.

5. The whole of the Ffestiniog district and the railway to Porthmadog.

6. Bryneglwys Quarry, Abergynolwyn village and the Talyllyn railway.

Can't see any mention of Aberllefenni or Corris, which I think is odd.

Bulls Crack 30 Jul 2021
In reply to Tigger:

No worries if access is lost anyway, we can always go and climb on the Liver Building...

OP Tigger 30 Jul 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

We are experienced rock cats after all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...