No!!! Spray painted (?) orange spots on The Cave, Ring Road Boulders!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 28 Aug 2022

I was horrified to see orange spots on the rock marking some of the holds at the The Cave in the Ring Road Boulders area today. See the photo. 

It's hard to be sure if it is spray paint. I brushed one for a while and it sort of came off. I thought it best not to do any more. 

My guess is that it is someone who is inexperienced and has no idea that this is not acceptable. There are no recent logged ascents that would suggest who it was. I only hope that word gets to them before they do any more of this.

Post edited at 18:15

The Pylon King 28 Aug 2022
In reply to ericinbristol:

FFS! As if the amount of chalk there wasnt enough. I will go and put a sign up stating I will chop their hands off if I catch them.

OP ericinbristol 28 Aug 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

Any idea what can be done about the orange spots that won't make things worse?

The Pylon King 28 Aug 2022

I will pop down with some water to see if it is paint.

It may (hopefully) be 'chalk paint' used for site marking out. And by running 'events' (like the Highland Tw*ts) to mark the route every 3m, and point out any pebble trip hazards...

OP ericinbristol 28 Aug 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ah yes thanks. Aerosol chalk spray seems to be what it is, like this: https://usscproducts.com/field-marking-paints/aerosol-field-marking-paints/.... The ad says it can be brushed off or washed off with soapy water. I hope an orange residue is not left.

Post edited at 19:53
OP ericinbristol 29 Aug 2022

Bumping this to spread the word that this is unacceptable.

Georgert 29 Aug 2022

We climbed Troutdale Pinnacle on Saturday and were gobsmacked at the amount of chalk someone had used to mark the major holds. I'm talking full white-out of the rock. The only way they could have achieved that kind of covering would be to repeatedly mash a full chalk ball into the stone – presumably to highlight key holds for inexperienced seconds.

I'd say this is totally unacceptable, too. It certainly isn't necessary for grip, and actually seemed to make some of the more polished holds more slippy than they would otherwise be. Plus it's just a major fking eyesore... 

The Pylon King 29 Aug 2022

Bad news I'm afraid. Its paint.   Idiots.

Post edited at 15:50
OP ericinbristol 29 Aug 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

Aargh. That's awful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...