MRT injured in the line of duty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 08 Feb 2021

In the threads about the call out to the campers up on Red Screes, it says a rescuer has had life changing injuries.

I have always assumed, but I could be totally incorrect here that a Blue Light worker injured in the line of duty would get looked after by the state (us), and that would seem right and proper.
Whats the deal with MRT, is that seen as private burden and the MRT have a super duper insurance scheme, or once the ho ha has died down, is the MRT person on their own?

Do many MRT actually get badly injured, is it actually that risky?

Post edited at 08:43
 Snowdave 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Is death risky?.

August 1989 sunny/hot, & I was on a guided walk in Snowdonia & the guide was MRT & had a MRT radio with him just case he was near by & could assist (also for calling for help due to the group of people he was guiding). He got a call on it around midday there was a rescue with a school teacher & a load of kids who were scrambling & got way out of their capabilities (if I remember correctly). Unfortunately one of the MRT who was tying to help them fell & died.

Andy DB 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

Unfortunately, personal injury insurance will be very team-specific and usually expensive for limited cover due to the obvious risk.

In the last 5 -10 years this has been set up to support team members http://www.rescuebenevolent.fund/

The situation isn't fab but improving and I guess most of us didn't get into it because of the fantastic injury cover.

I don't have any stats on injuries but anecdotally they are not as high as people expect. Teams train regularly and are well used to working in all weathers in their patch. Also, the mantra of don't become another casualty is well drilled into team members so we are not the risk-taking daredevils people expect (plus the piss-taking if you injure yourself).

Best wishes to the PMRT member sounds like a freak accident but unfortunately on callout that shouldn't have happened. 

Lankyman 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

> In the threads about the call out to the campers up on Red Screes, it says a rescuer has had life changing injuries.

> I have always assumed, but I could be totally incorrect here that a Blue Light worker injured in the line of duty would get looked after by the state (us), and that would seem right and proper.

> Whats the deal with MRT, is that seen as private burden and the MRT have a super duper insurance scheme, or once the ho ha has died down, is the MRT person on their own?

> Do many MRT actually get badly injured, is it actually that risky?

I knew a Cave Rescue member drowned down Rowten Pot on a rescue in the late eighties (?). Not that common as they are so professional in their ways.

J1234 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy DB:

Thank you for your reply.

I assume its arduous and call outs can be at unsociable times, but also thought that through the profossionalism I have observed that much of the risk is mitigated, and a guiding principle I was always taught on all the First aid courses I have attended was that to become a casualty was unhelpful.

I do hope this individual is assisted in every way, this is where the outdoor community can step up.

Post edited at 10:23
 Rich W Parker 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

MRT volunteers are, certainly in Scotland, insured by the Police, for whom they are effectively deputised to carry out rescues and recoveries.

jonny taylor 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Rich W Parker:

... although in our current situation it's worth mentioning that there is insurance against *injury* but not against the effects of *infection*.

Post edited at 12:22
 kipper12 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

This is a sobering reminder of why in the current circumstances we should all be doing our bit and  it taking the mick with the restrictions.  This was a call out which shouldn’t have occurred.

J1234 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Thats good news, and as it should be.

DerwentDiluted 08 Feb 2021
In reply to J1234:

When I was on a team the first thing you did on arrival at an RV was get your name on the call out sheet so you were insured.  In doing that you went from civillian punter to Police deputy without even putting on your boots.

TobyA 08 Feb 2021
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Are you really a "deputy"? If so, that's so cool. I guess it makes the whole MRT a posse! I think I'd find it hard not to ask the police for a star shaped badge and a six shooter too!

Post edited at 17:55
 rogerwebb 08 Feb 2021
In reply to jonny taylor:

> ... although in our current situation it's worth mentioning that there is insurance against *injury* but not against the effects of *infection*.

Yes. That has been made very clear. There is no team or police insurance for getting covid on a rescue. 

DerwentDiluted 08 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> Are you really a "deputy"? If so, that's so cool. 

I think the term was 'acting under the auspices' so 'Deputy' might be overstating it a little. But I do remember one trainee getting very excited at the prospect of using 'reasonable force' to protect a crime scene.

rogerwebb 08 Feb 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> Are you really a "deputy"? If so, that's so cool. I guess it makes the whole MRT a posse! I think I'd find it hard not to ask the police for a star shaped badge and a six shooter too!

I wish! 

TobyA 08 Feb 2021
In reply to rogerwebb:

You do have sheriffs up in Scotland though don't you? Can they raise a posse?  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...