Most photogenic route in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 14 Oct 2022

Judging by the recent spate of "Photo of the week" winners, I suspect that Dalriada (E7 6b) may be in pole position for this accolade.

Note: suggestions of Gargoyle Flake (VS 4c) will result in instant disqualification - hanging off the jugs on this route has become passé and boring.

Andy Moles 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

I don't think you needed to start a thread, you've answered your own question. You'd have to be trying to take a really bad photo of Dalriada.

Substituting mountains for sea, Eleutheria (E6 6a) would probably have a similar effect if as many people had heard of it (see photos of Statue of Liberty next door to get the idea).

Post edited at 09:14
 James0101 14 Oct 2022

Flat Iron Wall (E2 5b) on the cover of the Langdale guide is a rather striking piece of rock

Robert Durran 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> You'd have to be trying to take a really bad photo of Dalriada.

A recent photo on here had a pretty good shot at it

Without doubt a strong contender, but of course it is also easy to get a good shot since the best place to get a shot is so accessible. Others might well compete but just be really hard to get in position. Hamish Frost's brilliant St Kilda shot posted on here yesterday might be a good example.

65 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Roaring Forties ought to get a mention. Angular red rock, blue sky and dark sea plus brightly dressed climber make for a good recipe. I remember being struck by the photos of it in mountain years ago. and the photo of Jonesy on it is a belter, can't recall whether you or Lucy took it. 

OP: if we include winter routes then the Cuillin Ridge has to be in there. 

Andy Moles 14 Oct 2022

I suppose I'm interpreting 'photogenic' here to mean something like 'lending itself easily to good photos'. Of course a good photographer with good light can make a lot of things look amazing from the right position, but then it becomes a bit of a daft question.

Moacs 14 Oct 2022

Can we have some at mortals' grades?

Mark Eddy 14 Oct 2022

Nowt but a fleein' thing, Cam Crag, Wasdale

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/wasdale_screes-1827/#photos&gi...

Andy Moles 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Spare us your woke agenda, Diffs have equal opportunity to look good but that does not guarantee equality of outcome.

Cog 14 Oct 2022

>   Hamish Frost's brilliant St Kilda shot posted on here yesterday might be a good example.

For me that's a fine climbing shot but with Dalriada there is so much more going on, Loch Long, Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond, even the footpath.

In reply to 65:

> Roaring Forties ought to get a mention...... the photo of Jonesy on it is a belter, can't recall whether you or Lucy took it. 

Lucy took it on my camera while I belayed.

I think if you had a camera in the perfect position (abseil or even drone), with the climber rounding the arete and maybe even the Old Man of Hoy in the backdrop (not sure if possible), then it could be a contender.

In reply to Andy Moles:

> I suppose I'm interpreting 'photogenic' here to mean something like 'lending itself easily to good photos'. 

Yes, I think there is a distinction between a route that is easy to get a very good photo of and the route of which it is potentially possible to get THE best photo.

Andy Moles 14 Oct 2022

Given you can now hypothetically get to any position with a drone, that's gonna be a toughie to answer!

Alberto Tomba 14 Oct 2022

Would say any of the popular Pembroks slabs. Something truly lovely climbing on perfect red coloured rock with the blue/white sea below you. Makes for a great photo of your second, especially when the sun is going down.

Andy Moles 14 Oct 2022

Roaring Forties is a good shout. The colours of the sandstone, the scale, the line, the sea. It's amazing.

petegunn 14 Oct 2022

Demo Route must be up there for the easier graded coastal routes especially when the crashing waves are nearly as high as the crag! Napes Needle for a mountain environment, with the Scafell range in the backdrop.

Demo Route (HS 4b)

The Wasdale Crack (HS 4c)

Post edited at 11:08
 Timy2 14 Oct 2022

Overhanging Bastion, castle rock thirlmere.

OP Michael Hood 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Timy2:

> Overhanging Bastion, castle rock thirlmere.

Post rockfall? It's lost a lot of its "status" because of that.

midgen 14 Oct 2022

High Neb Buttress (VS 4c) lends itself to the quintessential sunny Stanage evening photo.

Dan Arkle 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Nowt but a fleein' thing, Cam Crag, Wasdale

I object, I think this is a really unphotogenic route. Its got difficult access, dull dark rock, and incredibly difficult lightning with a very dark foreground compared to the background. 

It is testament to Al Lee's skill as a photographer that he managed to wrangle an iconic shot out of it. 

petegunn 14 Oct 2022
 Bob Kemp 14 Oct 2022

I've been wondering what constitutes 'photogenic'? I thought of a few things: the rock architecture, including its form, texture and colour, the clarity of the line and the shapes it might force the climber to adopt, the surrounding landscape, how the light falls. Any more key elements?

snoop6060 14 Oct 2022

I always like photos of sugar cane county on pabbay. And funnily enough the photos tend to be of the same spot which [vague beta alert] is where I got a bit lost when doing it. Then recalled the pictures and realised what to do! Had to admit it wasn’t an onsight and only took the flash. I was going elsewhere until those pics popped into my head on the lead. 

wbo2 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Michael Hood: I think Dalraida is too big and the climber gets lost in the picture.  So I'd look for something like Crescent Arete

Mark Eddy 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Disagree rather than object I guess, but no matter. And fair enough, it's just my humble opinion. Not sure access difficulties have anything to do with a route being photogenic or not? But agree, getting up there will be quite a slog.

When I first saw the Alistair Lee photo of this route I was totally wowed by it. Whilst it isn't a route I plan on climbing - well above my abilities - every time I'm in Wasdale I'll have a look up on the Wasdale Screes to spy out the crag and marvel at its position. What a stunning setting.

Martin Hore 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Moacs:

> Can we have some at mortals' grades?

We had one right at the start, but for some reason the OP roundly rejected it before it was even suggested.

A bit like "who's the worst prime minister of the last ten years - but you can't have Liz Truss"

Martin

In reply to wbo2:

> I think Dalraida is too big and the climber gets lost in the picture. 

I was thinking that it is a tricky balance in a great climbing photo between showing the context/ backdrop and something of the technicality/ actual climber.

> So I'd look for something like Crescent Arete.

🤣

Post edited at 16:20
 plyometrics 14 Oct 2022
In reply to Cog:

> For me that's a fine climbing shot but with Dalriada there is so much more going on, Loch Long, Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond, even the footpath.

Yes, I think the backdrop is crucial.

Ben Lomond is nice but nothing special though. There really ought to be something in the Cuillin, Torridon or Assynt. Something like this but better: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/seana_mheallan-3915/#photos&gi...

Edit: first of the photos.

Post edited at 16:32
 Sean Kelly 14 Oct 2022

Tower Ridge does it for me. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/ben_nevis-16877/tower_ridge-567#ph...

It doesn't have to be E9,7a!

Brendan Rose 14 Oct 2022

perhaps not quite on the same level as Dalriada, but poetry pink always seems to look good

dominic o 14 Oct 2022

This brilliant shot by Will Rupp made the UKC "photo of the week" back in May and now graces the cover of the 2023 Climbers Against Cancer Charity Calendar:

https://www.climbersagainstcancer.org/shop/rucksack-club-cac-calendar/

I've just had the tricky task of whittling down a couple of hundred great pics to the 50 that made it into the final Rucksack Club calendar. Many were mountaineering, snow and ice or further afield, but a few contenders for "most photogenic UK route" that made the cut this year incuded:

Electric Blue (E4 5c)

Devotee (E2 5c)

Heather Wall (HVD 3b)

Archangel (E3 5b)

The Moon (E3 5c)

The Pillar (E2 5b)

Quite a lot of seacliff action in this shortlist (but I might be biased). Also, while I agree with the "non-elitist" point made above, I don't think you can separate the "photo of the climb" from the "photo of the climber", and a frisson of peril does make for a more compelling shot.

Anyway, hopefully that's enough justification for an otherwise barefaced effort to promote the calendar - I'd be more apologetic if it wasn't for the fact that EVERY PENNY of the ten pounds price tag goes to CAC. Go on, click the link and bag yourself a great calendar while supporting a really worthwhile cause!

Cheers, Dom 

Mike-W-99 14 Oct 2022

Here's a few I've done recently which have good photos either taken from the belayers position or better still the adjacent cliff.

Hairy Mary (VS 4b)

The Sarclet Pimpernel (E1 5a)

GrahamD 14 Oct 2022

I'm thinking The Axe on Cloggy.

john arran 14 Oct 2022
In reply to dominic o:

I see what you did there, and I like it!

Mike-W-99 14 Oct 2022

What about Squareface (VD) too

tmawer 15 Oct 2022

At an level attainable by many I think the traverse pitch on Troutdale Pinnacle is pretty photogenic. 

alan moore 15 Oct 2022

Chequers Buttress always looks good.

Pitch 2 on both Valkyries as well.

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

That second shot is a good one. That looks like an amazing position at the grade.

Robert Durran 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Roaring Forties is a good shout. The colours of the sandstone, the scale, the line, the sea. It's amazing.

The route is actually called Roring Forties. Needs correcting on UKC.

Michael Gordon 15 Oct 2022

> There really ought to be something in the Cuillin, Torridon or Assynt. > 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/quinag-416/land_of_the_lost_and_fo...

Mike-W-99 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

E1 5a & ****. Robert has a better shot from the adjacent cliff.

Myfyr Tomos 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Indeed, or how about the Northern Pinnacles on Liathach?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/liathach_-_spidean_a_choire_leith-...

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> E1 5a & ****. Robert has a better shot from the adjacent cliff.

I'll have to pay the place a visit.

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2022
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Lovely shot! Quinag is yet another place on which I've never investigated the rock climbing.

Andy Moles 16 Oct 2022

> The route is actually called Roring Forties. Needs correcting on UKC.

In that case it also needs correcting in Northern Highlands North and the new Wired select guide. Are you sure that spelling isn't just Gary Latter's whim?

Hamish Frost 16 Oct 2022

I think Dalriada gets my vote. I like the fact that’s there’s loads of great photos of it which are all quite varied (shot from different angles, different framings, the climber in different positions, different light conditions etc). It makes it much more interesting when there’s different interpretations of a scene rather than just seeing the exact same shot replicated over and over. It means that the person taking the photo has obviously had to think a bit about it too, rather than just turning up to a spot and pressing a button. I’ve not photographed the route so will have to get up there at some point!

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> In that case it also needs correcting in Northern Highlands North and the new Wired select guide. Are you sure that spelling isn't just Gary Latter's whim?

I suppose it is possible. Having used Gary's guide when we did it I just assumed it was correct. But yes, I see it is Roaring in the Wired guide.

Robert Durran 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> E1 5a & ****. Robert has a better shot from the adjacent cliff.

This one? Much better photos of the route exist.

dominic o 16 Oct 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Thank you, lovely UKC people - I feared my blatant ad for the CAC Charity Calendar might get a cold shoulder at best, and more likely a flaming! Instead, almost 150 of you have clicked through to the "BUY" link to the CAC shop, and I've even got a few likes

By way of a thank you, here's another shot from the Calendar, and the first person to name the route will get a free copy in the post.

Of course, if you don't want to leave it to chance, or feel you'd rather a tenner went to fund cancer research, you can always just head to the CAC Shop and buy one now!

https://www.climbersagainstcancer.org/shop/rucksack-club-cac-calendar/

Cheers, Dom 

MarkRoe 16 Oct 2022
In reply to dominic o:

That would be Hargreaves Original (assuming he isn't doing the Macleods Variation finish).

Great photo!

Chris H 17 Oct 2022
In reply to petegunn:yep it’s hard to take a bad picture of demo route ( though I have had a good go) because because the obvious place to snap from naturally frames the rock against the sea / sky and there is usually someone on the bulgy bi.

FactorXXX 17 Oct 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Reference the mystery photo.
It might be for a good cause, but it's not in my opinion particularly good.
Over sharpened
Over saturated
Poor composition - climber is basically in the centre of the photo - no lead in, etc.
Climber, apart from the blue T-Shirt, is the same colour as the rock
Massively distorted - horizon is well out!

duncan 17 Oct 2022

Roaring Forties (E3 5c). The first ascentionists, Dave Turnbull and Andy Donson, are pretty sure it is Roring Forties as you say: https://bit.ly/3Tuh93Q

Rob Parsons 17 Oct 2022
In reply to duncan:

But what does 'roring' mean? (Serious question.) Is this some pun I'm not getting?

John Lyall 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It’s located on Rora Head.

Rob Parsons 17 Oct 2022
In reply to John Lyall:

Ah ha! Thanks.

Gary Latter 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> In that case it also needs correcting in Northern Highlands North and the new Wired select guide. Are you sure that spelling isn't just Gary Latter's whim?

No, Roring Forties is indeed correct. It is on Rora Head! I checked with Dave Turnbull, one of the first ascentionists.

Whilst we're on the subject of misspelled route names, here's a few I've noticed from the latest SMC Wired guide:

Le Monde

Travelin'Man

Lily Langtry

Pipit Slab

Ogg's Hindquarters

Rodha Mor

I'm sure there are others...

Lhod 17 Oct 2022

Some great suggestions so far. 

Satan's Slip (E1 5a) on Lundy is an impressive piece of rock architecture.

I've always liked the guidebook photo of The Fascist and Me (E4 6a), steep jugs over a boiling sea. I think it was Trev Massiah in the Pembroke rockfax but might be mistaken.

Post edited at 10:56
 Andy Moles 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

Fair enough! The one that actually made me wonder was Uhuru (E3 6a)...I noticed you changed that to Uhura in your latest edition, which makes sense with the Star Trek theme, but I've only seen it written Uhuru everywhere else.

Gary Latter 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Fair enough! The one that actually made me wonder was Uhuru (E3 6a)...I noticed you changed that to Uhura in your latest edition, which makes sense with the Star Trek theme, but I've only seen it written Uhuru everywhere else.

Haha - classic case of the guidebook compiler misspelling his own route...

Cog 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

I thought Uhuru was correct. I'm sure I got an email from Tom Prentice about the route name but I can't find it.

Gary Latter 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Cog:> I thought Uhuru was correct. I'm sure I got an email from Tom Prentice about the route name but I can't find it.

Nyota Uhura (/niˈoʊtə ʊˈhʊrə/) is a fictional character in the Star Trek franchise. In the original television series, the character was portrayed by Nichelle Nichols, who reprised the role for the first six Star Trek feature films. A younger Uhura is portrayed by Celia Rose Gooding in the 2022 prequel series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

As the route was presumably named in relation to the neighbouring Vulcan Wall, then surely Uhura is correct? Kev continued with the same theme with his later adjacent addition Clinging On.

Cog 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

Found it.

'The name was Kevin’s idea. I think the idea was to maintain the 'Star Trek’ theme (Vulcan & Spock), although the black female character in the series is actually called Lieutenant Uhura. However, it is said that Uhura was derived from Uhuru anyway. The name also reflected the release of Nelson Mandela from prison five months before. Uhuru (Freedom) while being a Swahili word, was generally adopted by African Nationalists across the continent. It further chimed well with me, one of my favourite reggae bands being Black Uhuru.'

mike barnard 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Cog:

Nice one. Good to check with the FA on these things.

mike barnard 17 Oct 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

> Ogg's Hindquarters>

Did you check with Robin? Seems like the only real way of knowing. 

dominic o 17 Oct 2022
In reply to MarkRoe:

> That would be Hargreaves Original (assuming he isn't doing the Macleods Variation finish).

> Great photo!

Hi Mark

It is indeed (maybe a bit too easy!) PM me with your address and I will get one in the post.

Cheers, Dom 

gaz.marshall 18 Oct 2022

Edgehog (E3 5c) should get a mention. Probably not quite Dalriada status but a classy line with a stunning backdrop back down the glen.

65 18 Oct 2022
In reply to gaz.marshall:

> Edgehog (E3 5c) should get a mention. Probably not quite Dalriada status but a classy line with a stunning backdrop back down the glen.

Agreed.

Grahame N 18 Oct 2022
In reply to mike barnard:

> Did you check with Robin? Seems like the only real way of knowing. 

Its Hogg's Hindquarters in the 1967 guidebook which was written by Robin Campbell (and who did the first ascent), so this should be the correct spelling.  Despite there being a 'Duncan Ogg's Hole' marked on the OS map.

Grahame N 18 Oct 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

> Whilst we're on the subject of misspelled route names, here's a few I've noticed from the latest SMC Wired guide:

> Lily Langtry

Where do you get this spelling from Gary? Its always been spelt Lilly Langtry as far as I know. I've thought of correcting it to Lillie (after the actress) but assumed it was spelled Lilly by the first ascensionists so left it as that.

Cog 18 Oct 2022
In reply to gaz.marshall:

> "Edgehog" should get a mention.  

An off topic ramble.

Ed Grindley wanted a photo for the cover of his Glen Nevis guidebook, but it wasn’t a very bright day. Dave Armstrong had expected Ed to bring a rope so he led it on a single 9 stopping frequently for Ed to take photos, I think he used a film and a half. I was cold after belaying for so long so didn’t second him. Ed took over belaying when Dave was near the top and I got a couple of photos which were better than the cover shot (but maybe something went wrong in printing).

mike barnard 18 Oct 2022
In reply to Grahame N:

Thanks for that. It seems pretty clear he named it in reference to Ogg (otherwise he'd have spelt it Hog). 'Hogg' is halfway between Hog and Ogg so seems like a good choice for your typical FA play on words.

I think the Uhuru case is a good example of why one can't just use logic to decree that the FA got the spelling wrong, as route names are often misspelled on purpose by the FA for reasons which no-one will understand without asking them (and still may not understand afterwards!). 

Ean T 07 Nov 2022
In reply to Gary Latter:

> Whilst we're on the subject of misspelled route names, here's a few I've noticed from the latest SMC Wired guide:

> Le Monde

> Travelin'Man

> Lily Langtry

> Pipit Slab

> Ogg's Hindquarters

> Rodha Mor

> I'm sure there are others...

Roar Mor (as it is spelt in the Wired Guide) is the correct spelling. Not Rodha Mor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...