Most dangerous mountain uk ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What is the most dangerous mountain in the uk ?

Red Rover 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

How are you defining dangerous? Accidents per year? Accidents per visitor? 

Removed User 21 Jul 2020

Probably the Ben.

d_b 21 Jul 2020

It varies. At any given time the mountain most likely to hurt me is the one I am on.

Mount Vernon...?

or perhaps Mountblow

Post edited at 12:34

In terms of frequency of accidents probably Snowdon.

bouldery bits 21 Jul 2020

Great Glass Elevator

Lankyman 21 Jul 2020

> What is the most dangerous mountain in the uk ?

It used to be Cyril Smith.

Prof. Outdoors 21 Jul 2020

Can't answer the question as it is probably too vague.

What I did find were Mountain Rescue incident statistics. Does not help to identify specific mountains but I did find some of the information enlightening. (Lot of the incidents are non-mountaineering incidents)

https://www.scottishmountainrescue.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SMR_Stati...

https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2017MREWIncid...

You may have to define your question a bit more otherwise you may just get subjective opinions.. Depends if you want quantifiable data or people's perceptions.

Cat Bells.

Toerag 21 Jul 2020

I think it's an interesting question, but as stated above, it needs refining.

Bacon Butty 21 Jul 2020

Aonach Eagach

cwarby 21 Jul 2020

The wet one.

jkarran 21 Jul 2020

In terms of hospital visits per year probably one with a mountain bike centre near a major population cluster.

jk

Lankyman 21 Jul 2020
In reply to cwarby:

> The wet one.

Even when it's dry?

If we mean the ratio of serious accidents to the number of people climbing on it, then probably the Black Cuillin (if we take it to be one mountain, which in a sense it is.)

John Lyall 21 Jul 2020

Mount Florida on an Old Firm cup final day.

jezb1 21 Jul 2020

Brown Willy.

DerwentDiluted 21 Jul 2020

The South Downs above Lewes can be pretty nasty in the right conditions.

peppermill 21 Jul 2020

Too broad a question to answer. Dangerous for what? What do you mean by danger? Winter routes (I'm gonna guess the Ben)? Rock Climbing? Walking and scrambling? 

Also bear in mind if you start looking at the number of rescues you'll probably find you're just looking at "Most popular in poor conditions" Which again I'll guess Ben Nevis or as another poster suggested, Snowdon. 

Lankyman 21 Jul 2020

Mount Snowdon causes multiple apoplexy cases every week almost. Experienced pedants fall for it all the time.

a crap climber 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Mount Snowdon causes multiple apoplexy cases every week almost. Experienced pedants fall for it all the time.

Well I guess in a similar vein we should consider anything in the Peaks... 

peppermill 21 Jul 2020
In reply to John Lyall:

> Mount Florida on an Old Firm cup final day.

x10 if you're a resident trying to get parked !! ;p

Lankyman 21 Jul 2020
In reply to a crap climber:

> Well I guess in a similar vein we should consider anything in the Peaks... 

Yes indeed. Many a blood vessel ruptured by the Peaks. Known to be bad for teeth gnashing and mouth foaming too.

In Scotland I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur's Seat was right up there for numbers of injuries/deaths if you include suicides and heart attacks as well as falls.

Iamgregp 21 Jul 2020

Debt

dsh 21 Jul 2020

How about this question? What is the most dangerous easiest route to a mountain summit in the UK? And what is the most dangerous normal descent?

Let's assume for competent well equipped people and take out ones where accident statistics are caused by sheet numbers.

MJAngry 21 Jul 2020

Any mountain scrambled.

Bacon Butty 21 Jul 2020
In reply to MJAngry:

You can't create a screelette without breaking a few rocks.

Robert Durran 21 Jul 2020

The one where people are having the least fun.

summo 21 Jul 2020

Swirral in winter, 4 gulley on the Ben, descent path from lost valley or lochain, or even the path down to New-DG claims a few ankles of tired summer tourists. 

Trangia 21 Jul 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> The South Downs above Lewes can be pretty nasty in the right conditions.

Yes, it's the location of Britain's worst avalanche disaster. In 1836 an avalanche engulfed a row of workers cottages on the eastern outskirts of Lewes burrying 15 people of whom 8 perished. 

A pub known as the Snowdrop now stands on the site

In reply to Lankyman:

> Mount Snowdon causes multiple apoplexy cases every week almost. Experienced pedants fall for it all the time.

That made me smile. 

profitofdoom 21 Jul 2020

Anyone remember the butter mountain? Deadly to arteries (maybe

birdie num num 21 Jul 2020

I think it’s Great Mell Fell

Andy Hardy 21 Jul 2020

You're getting better: 36 replies without input from you.

Definite improvement, B-

mick taylor 21 Jul 2020

Wherever Dangerous Dave is doing his thing

mick taylor 21 Jul 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

Took me a while, but assume this a reference to the shooting range (my grandparents where regulars)??

LeeWood 21 Jul 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> In terms of frequency of accidents probably Snowdon.

Could it be - rather - Crib Goch ? I believe a few quite a few tourists 'freeze' when they get up there

Le Sapeur 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> You're getting better: 36 replies without input from you.

> Definite improvement, B-

He's doing well. Some are taking it seriously. I'd give it an A if he refrains from posting.

Post edited at 19:50
Le Sapeur 21 Jul 2020

Apparently Outdoors Magic have the answer....

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/dangerous-mountains-uk/

Ridge 21 Jul 2020

Mount Ogwen

birdie num num 21 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Yes. 
I wondered if anyone would make the connection.

In reply to dsh:

> How about this question? What is the most dangerous easiest route to a mountain summit in the UK? And what is the most dangerous normal descent?

Very difficult questions. I suppose that, again, something on the Cuillin is the most dangerous/hardest, e.g. Sgurr Thearlaich or Clach Glas?? Ditto the descent off either of those. The big 'normal route' descent off Blaven is quite something. I wouldn't like to have to do that very steep, quite complex zig-zag route, without prior knowledge, in cloud and rain when you can't see where you're going. The descent from the In Pin down into Coire Lagan is quite treacherous, too, in bad conditions. Am Basteir, also, pretty heavyweight in terms of seriousness (much of it being: 'one slip and you're dead.')

Post edited at 21:03
 hang_about 21 Jul 2020

Tryfan

mick taylor 21 Jul 2020
In reply to birdie num num:

My grandfather was born in Threlkeld, both grandparents really into rifle shooting and I remember they had a cabinet full of trophies. Reckon after their half time tipple their inaccuracy would make it well dangerous. 

webbo 21 Jul 2020

Rum Doodle.

wintertree 21 Jul 2020

"Bolt's Law" sounds well 'ard in a 1980s gangster kind of way.

Trangia 21 Jul 2020
In reply to webbo:

I remember following reports on the Rum Doodle expedition and don't recall any serious accidents occurring, even amongst members who previously had not been high. Lassitude was, however, a serious problem amongst many expedition members.

Darron 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Apparently Outdoors Magic have the answer....

And a certain irony in No. 7 on that list😀

GrahamD 21 Jul 2020

Many mountains have relatively easy aspects and potentially lethal aspects depending which way you choose to go.

Rob Parsons 21 Jul 2020
In reply to Darron:

> And a certain irony in No. 7 on that list😀

Shitty article, written by somebody who has never been there:

"As with Crib Goch the Aonach Eagach is long, narrow and exposed ... Classic accident points include ... trying to descent the deceptively tricky Clachaig Gully rather than continuing along and down easier ground."

In reply to hang_about:

Hmm yes I have seen loads of helicopters on Tryfan and it is very easy to get lost 

In reply to Rob Parsons:

I agree why is pen y fan hellvelyn and the easy grade 1 ridges like crib goch in there as long as you have a head for height and the weather is ok it should be fine 

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I mean like for how many people have went to the top how many accidents have happened 

In reply to Red Rover:

Per visitor 

profitofdoom 22 Jul 2020

> Hmm yes I have seen loads of helicopters on Tryfan and it is very easy to get lost 

He's replied, folks!! It doesn't make much sense, but he's replied!

peppermill 22 Jul 2020

OK. You know this doesn't necessarily make it the most dangerous or "Extreme" (Puke) mountain. Ben Nevis or whatever attracts thousands of very inexperienced, very unfit walkers 'cos it's the biggest init, so probably has a lot of accidents in a season.

Post edited at 07:03
 ATL 22 Jul 2020

I've never heard of a dangerous mountain. Risk-taking behaviour (consciously or unconsciously) - it's all down to human behaviour.

Dan Arkle 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

Is this a bit like -

Guns don't kill people - people kill people? 

DaveHK 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

> I've never heard of a dangerous mountain. Risk-taking behaviour (consciously or unconsciously) - it's all down to human behaviour.

Not entirely. There are features of certain mountains that make it more likely that people will have accidents, even experienced hill goers. Things like accessibility, apparent simplicity, navigational traps etc.

Post edited at 09:57
 Trangia 22 Jul 2020

Broad Stand on Scafell must rank high up on the list of accident spots which catch out inexperienced walkers. If you search the forums you will find a long debate about it on here a few years back which highlight how describing a route as a scramble rather than grading it as an easy rock climb lulls too many people into assuming it's less risky.

DaveHK 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Trangia:

> Broad Stand on Scafell must rank high up on the list of accident spots which catch out inexperienced walkers. 

I soloed Broad Stand whilst on a Bob Graham recce once and a guy ran across shouting repeatedly 'where's your rope? where's your f*****g rope?' at me. He obviously felt quite strongly about the risks involved!

Rob Parsons 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

> I've never heard of a dangerous mountain.

I have. And there are objective dangers. Have a climb on the Dru, and then get back to us.

In reply to pancakeandchips:

> In terms of frequency of accidents probably Snowdon.

Although, obviously, more a reflection on its popularity and accessibility rather than its severity.

cb294 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

Seriously? Objective dangers can be rather different between otherwise similar mountains, or can differ from year to year. No need to look at anything extreme, but for a while the normal routes onto Weissmies from the North or Grandes Jorasses from the South were a baaaaaad idea due to the state of the seracs.

Or, compare Ortler with its neighbours Zebru and Königsspitze / Gran Zebru. Rather obvious to identify the dangerous one!

CB

Lankyman 22 Jul 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Not entirely. There are features of certain mountains that make it more likely that people will have accidents, even experienced hill goers. Things like accessibility, apparent simplicity, navigational traps etc.

Ingleborough could lay claim to the crown. Apart from hosting hordes of the unfit, poorly equipped and overly optimistic on its Three Peaks route it is probably the most climbed mountain for its own sake outside the Lakes. Then there are the underground dangers. It has more caves than any other UK mountain - the CRO (who also provide fell rescue) are based at its foot for good reason. And lastly, it has a small share in the Ingleton Waterfalls Walk, the downfall of many an overweight tourist.

In reply to ATL:

> I've never heard of a dangerous mountain. Risk-taking behaviour (consciously or unconsciously) - it's all down to human behaviour.

This is clearly not so as if you were kidnapped and placed on a random mountain, some would be much more dangerous places to be than others. I personally wouldn't fancy being on the North Face of the Eiger during a storm.

Trangia 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I have. And there are objective dangers. Have a climb on the Dru, and then get back to us.

I watched a film about an expedition attempting to climb an active volcano in South America which spewed out chunks of molten larva every 15 mins or so, which rained down on the upper slopes. Not only did the climbers have to keep dodging these aerial missiles, but they actually endured a night's camping on it! Unsurprisingly in the morning, they abandoned the attempt, and I believe it still remains unclimbed.

DancingOnRock 22 Jul 2020

Injuries per ascent. 

That would be the best way to measure it. The problem is different mountains attract different types of climbers/walkers. So Snowdon is an easy and ‘safe’ mountain in the Summer so it’s popular with the general public and probably has a low density of accidents. In the Winter it becomes a different mountain and hard and ‘dangerous’, even for experienced hill walkers. Less people visit, but more are injured or killed so the density goes up.  

What about specific routes?

DancingOnRock 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

It’s a combination. If no one climbs a mountain does that make it a safe one, or just one that no one has had an accident on?

Wouldn’t a risk adverse person not climb something because they thought it was too dangerous?

Is the danger then purely down to attitude or skill, or is it the conditions and other geophysical aspects? 

Post edited at 10:41
 deepsoup 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly blood loss and trauma from the bullet holes.

Ian Parsons 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Trangia:

> spewed out chunks of molten larva <

Sounds pretty dangerous for the larvae as well; I suspect that few ever made it to the moth/butterfly stage.

Dave Garnett 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ATL:

I think Cengalo, especially anywhere near the east face, would count as a dangerous mountain right now, if recent history and the constant rockfall we heard from the Badile is anything to go by.

Trangia 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Chris H 22 Jul 2020

This is all very anthropomorphic. Some mountain where grouse get blasted to death? 

PaulJepson 22 Jul 2020

In terms of numbers of deaths and serious accidents, it has to be Ben Nevis? Surely. There are deaths every year on it. People getting avalanched, navving into Five Finger, slipping off Ledge Route unroped, etc. It has masses of people on it, and attracts a lot of people doing riskier activities. There are probably more punter accidents on Snowdon with people wandering off Cloggy or binning it off an icy cliff in their trainers but in numbers of body-recovery it has to be Ben.  

malk 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Stromboli is good value for danger right now: youtube.com/watch?v=gPWxc_lkuc8&

deepsoup 22 Jul 2020

Has anyone mentioned Billy the Mountain yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=1QcdcOu0MTM&

In reply to peppermill: Trust height don’t make a mountain dangerous init it’s carh Tryfan is more dangerous than snowdon and snowdon is higher 

peppermill 22 Jul 2020

> Trust height don’t make a mountain dangerous init it’s carh Tryfan is more dangerous than snowdon and snowdon is higher 

Que??

hang_about 22 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

In reply to peppermill: 

>> Trust height don’t make a mountain dangerous init it’s carh Tryfan is more dangerous than snowdon and snowdon is higher 

> Que??

To me that's just about surefire proof that 'Aonach eagach is the best' is a spoof. But, to give him some credit, it is quite funny.

Post edited at 22:19
 bouldery bits 22 Jul 2020
In reply to hang_about:

> Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

I saw it on a documentary on BBC2.

Billhook 23 Jul 2020

I'd suggest you contact Mountain Spirit (another poster) - you'll both be able to discuss this at length.

An Eilid, on Gruinard island?

though the anthrax is meant to have all been cleaned up now. 

and I suppose it’s stretching things to call it a mountain...

profitofdoom 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> >> Trust height don’t make a mountain dangerous init it’s carh Tryfan is more dangerous than snowdon and snowdon is higher 

> To me that's just about surefire proof that 'Aonach eagach is the best' is a spoof. But, to give him some credit, it is quite funny.

Within a few seconds of seeing his/her many threads IMO it was crystal clear that he/she was a troll and a huge time waster. Sadly I personally don't give him any credit at all, and find it very unfunny

Yohan 23 Jul 2020
In reply to John Lyall:

Superb! 

JohnBson 23 Jul 2020

Muswell hill. 

JohnBson 23 Jul 2020

Ben Big

JohnBson 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I have. And there are objective dangers. Have a climb on the Dru, and then get back to us.

What's dangerous about the Dru. The dangerous but fell off and only the easy bits are left. 

In reply to profitofdoom:

Lol how am I a troll i was just asking something I was curious about since when’s that been agains the law 

Lankyman 27 Jul 2020

> Lol how am I a troll i was just asking something I was curious about since when’s that been agains the law 

Only trolls use 'lol' and the law was changed on 15th April, 2020

Rob Parsons 27 Jul 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

> What's dangerous about the Dru. The dangerous but fell off and only the easy bits are left. 

Are you speaking from experience? Which routes have you done on the peak? And how did you find them?

(I think you'll find that there are plenty of bits still falling off it ...)

d_b 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Removal of dangerous bits is why serious climbers carry nitroglycerine.

graeme jackson 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Trangia:

> Yes, it's the location of Britain's worst avalanche disaster. In 1836 an avalanche engulfed a row of workers cottages on the eastern outskirts of Lewes burrying 15 people of whom 8 perished. 

In 1966 an avalanche engulfed the village of Aberfan killing 144. I'd say that was Britain's worst Avalanche disaster. 

JohnBson 06 Aug 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Are you speaking from experience? Which routes have you done on the peak? And how did you find them?

Look mate this isn't a "what have you done on grit?" forum.

DancingOnRock 06 Aug 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

That wasn’t an avalanche, it was a landslide. 

graeme jackson 06 Aug 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

true enough. My bad.

peppermill 06 Aug 2020
In reply to d_b:

> Removal of dangerous bits is why serious climbers carry nitroglycerine.

For their angina??

;p

d_b 06 Aug 2020
In reply to peppermill:

Angina can be a serious problem when you are approaching your vertical limit.

Billhook 06 Aug 2020

Freebrough  Hill in North Yorkshire.  

The owner is dangerous - he doesn't like trespassers and the cattle he keeps on it are wild & unpredictable.

In reply to Billhook:

Will he kill u

EdS 07 Aug 2020

Cow and Calf at Ilkley get plent of MRT and ambulance visits

petegunn 07 Aug 2020
In reply to EdS:

It's always on "helicopter heroes" 😂

alx 07 Aug 2020

You missed out Mountain Warehouse. A cheap Pac-Mac and a compass from a Christmas cracker coupled with unfounded confidence has been the downfall of many a Londoner.

In reply to alx:

The compas on my phone would do better than that 😂

Rob Parsons 07 Aug 2020
In reply to JohnBson:

> Look mate this isn't a "what have you done on grit?" forum.

Not interested in a pissing contest. But from my own direct experience on a couple of routes, the Dru is an objectively dangerous peak, with plenty of bits still continually dropping off it.

(Lovely thing thing to have climbed, mind.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...