Mississippi Climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike_Gannon 06 Aug 2019

Hi,

Reading through a guide book the other day I was curious why there are so many climbs in the Peak District with the word Mississippi in the name.

Any history buffs about who might know its origins?

Mike

Lemony 06 Aug 2019
In reply to Mike_Gannon:

In the case of Mississippi Butress, it’s just the rough shape isn’t it?

Rog Wilko 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Lemony:

> In the case of Mississippi Butress, it’s just the rough shape isn’t it?

???

Martin Bennett 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Lemony:

> In the case of Mississippi Butress, it’s just the rough shape isn’t it?

The shape of the river? Or the state?

Michael Hood 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Quick google (for a map image) seems to indicate that it's the shape of the west side of Mississippi state, but I presume that's also the course of the Mississippi river.

Rog Wilko 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

It's surprising if someone, presumably from the UK, would look at the outline of the buttress and think "That looks just like the course of the Mississippi". 

Lemony 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's a pretty distinctively shaped state owing to the big cut out at the bottom left, maybe they were just more geographically minded than you? We have all sorts of daft names for bits of rock.

In reply to Mike_Gannon:

Mississippi Chimney was not named by first ascensionist Puttrell, but later in the 20s or 30s by Pigott, Wood or Byne. The nearby? Manhattan Chimney was apparently named by them in honour of Rice Kemper Evans, an american who was part of their climbing group and was on first ascent. This possibly started the tradition of geographical names? There's also of course the adjacent Congo Corner.

Rog Wilko 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Lemony:

>  maybe they were just more geographically minded than you? 

Well, I do have a degree in geography. But as I'm fond of saying when people ask me things like "which is the world's longest river", that doesn't make me into a walking gazetteer. I expect I could recognise quite a few of the US states in outline, but Mississippi has never impinged on my attention to that degree, and I suspect I'm not alone in this.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Surely, if Manhattan came first, Mississippi was just a pun on that.

Rog Wilko 07 Aug 2019
In reply to Lemony:

And as for not being very geographically minded, what's all this "bottom left" business?

> It's a pretty distinctively shaped state owing to the big cut out at the bottom left...

In reply to John Stainforth:

I thought I implied that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...