Midges in Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 16 Jul 2021

Thinking of going up to wasdale this weekend/next week and climbing on Pillar, maybe with a sleep out. I just spoke to wasdale head inn and midges are currently in abundance there. Forecast is for negligible wind. How bad is it likely to be? Will Pillar/Scafell etc be too high for midges he asks optimistically? Are there such places as midge free in the lakes?

raussmf 16 Jul 2021
In reply to mike lawrence?:

I bivvied at dow last saturday. The midges were out but it was bearable and there was almost no wind.

Not sure if that helps!

shantaram 16 Jul 2021
In reply to mike lawrence?: If you camp and climb up high you’re unlikely to suffer too much with the midges in the Lake District and with clear skies they should only be active for a few hours at dawn and dusk when you’re likely to be in your tent.
They’re more likely to be an issue if you were in a forested valley like Ennerdale that loses the sun earlier and is more sheltered from any breeze. Note that there has been a reasonable sea breeze on western fells recently on afternoons and evenings that often doesn’t show in the forecast. 

John Kelly 16 Jul 2021

They seem to come in waves, after a torrid spell a couple of weeks ago it's been good in lakes (not dry sunny weather I assume is the driver ), I'm guessing next time it rains they will be horrendous, but this weekend I think should be fine.

Even Cairngorms was midge free yesterday

alan moore 17 Jul 2021

Had a very midgey morning in West Cove a few weeks back, but they come and go. None in the sunshine on top, and all gone by mid morning.

Thanks everyone

Route Adjuster 17 Jul 2021
In reply to John Kelly:

> They seem to come in waves, after a torrid spell a couple of weeks ago it's been good in lakes (not dry sunny weather I assume is the driver ), I'm guessing next time it rains they will be horrendous, but this weekend I think should be fine.

6 Week breeding cycle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...