Lovely Locals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Sagar 13 May 2020

Today my girlfriend and I went to   Winspit - only three other parties all day, who hardly overlapped. 

On the way down we passed a few locals, who all said a cheery hello. One chap stopped for a brief chat and made a joke about me making my other half carry the rope (social distancing was easily maintained by all at all times). Later we got chips from a takeaway on Swanage sea front, and the bloke was all smiles, despite clearly clocking us for outsiders.

i’m aware that some places will be more sensitive than others given past history, but after developing a bit of a siege mentality from reading the forums the last couple of days, it reminded me that it’s always foolish to divide the world into us vs. them. 

Most people are decent, and if you treat them decently they’ll return in kind. 

In reply to Paul Sagar:

Glad to hear. Got any recommended climbs? 

Also, how was parking? Someone said yesterday the car park is closed. 

OP Paul Sagar 13 May 2020
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

car park open in Worth Matravers as were toilets. £2 to park all day. 

We also saw a rare sand lizard eating a common lizard, which was pretty cool. 

Ciderslider 13 May 2020

In reply to jezb1:

It is now you’ve moved to Wales Jez 😂😜

All joking aside I’ve always found Swanage to be a super friendly place ( even inc that Weatherill character 😂😂) 

Ramon Marin 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Paul glad you had a grand day out and that locals are cool

Giles Davis 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Paul,

That's actually a Wall Lizard (introduced or native is a debate). There are colonies at Winpsit and Hedbury quarries, Swanage and Bournemouth plus a few other places.

Didn't know they ate common lizards, interesting.

Cool photo.

Giles

Post edited at 20:25
In reply to Giles Davis:

Oh cool, thanks! I have no idea about lizards it just reminded me of the sand lizards that live on the dunes near where I grew up so assumed that is what it was. Good to know. 

In reply to Paul Sagar:

FYI the National Trust car parks are all closed, so Dancing Ledge and nearby crags are all likely off the cards for the weekend as parking in Langton Matravers won’t be possible as the village is tiny and there simply isn’t space. 

Misha 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Good Lord. Who'd have thought lizards were so vicious. Best thing I've learned all day.

Misha 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Well not really off the cards, if you're prepared to walk further. For people who are reasonably local and don't have hours to drive, it's all feasible with the long days. The coastal path could be busy though.

In reply to Misha:

Yeah fair play - just conscious that local friendliness will quite reasonably give out if Langton Matravers is blocked up with climbers’ cars. 

gribble 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I've just heard (from my mum - source of greatness) that National Trust are keeping their 'attractions closed, but will be opening their car parks.  Probably best to keep an eye on the NT website for latest info.

Mike Stretford 13 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Nice post, thanks... good to hear about a successful socially distanced days climbing!

Wimlands 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks for the post Paul...we were due on holiday down there but had to cancel. Always enjoyed the walk down to the Quarry.

Though you did well to find some locals...I always thought Worth was 90% holiday let’s...

GrahamD 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

What constitutes a 'local' in that part of the world ? 

Trangia 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> Most people are decent, and if you treat them decently they’ll return in kind. 

It's the same with walking in the countryside, most people we have encountered have been friendly, but we have met a very few Nimby residents who have made snide remarks, one case of a public footpath that passed through a garden being blocked off with a notice made by the owner, and a couple of my friends have had nasty notes to "Go Home" put on their windscreens when parked sensibly so as not to block anybody.

On the whole we have found farmers very friendly, and saying "Hello" and "Enjoy your walk" 

gravy 14 May 2020
In reply to Giles Davis:

It's not eating it, it's just carrying it home after one too many...

Oceanrower 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Sorry. There's absolutely no point in going to Swanage until the Square And Compasses reopens...

deepsoup 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

That's great to hear.

You might like this (Sheffield/Peak) local newspaper article I'd just read before I saw your post.  It's quite refreshing..
https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/be-nice-say-hi...

Wimlands 14 May 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

In all the times I’ve been to the S&Q I don’t I’ve ever sat down indoors...

They just need to move the serving hatch to the front door and serve from there 😀

Iamgregp 14 May 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

It has seats inside?!?!?

Iamgregp 14 May 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Great post Paul, good to hear it!

I'm a big fan on Winspit so I imagine I'll be there before too long.  

Love that car park with the honesty box, something so reassuringly old school about it!

GrahamD 14 May 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

It's not the same since they added the proper toilets and took out the wind up gramophone and stack of 78s IMO. Bah humbug

Went today. Was fine down there. Everyone I encountered smiled and said hello back. Saw lots of walkers, so it's not like climbers are the only tourists entering the area. Car park was about 1/4 full. 

Seemed absolutely fine. 

I did get shut down by just about every climb I attempted though, but that's a different issue haha

OP Paul Sagar 14 May 2020
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

Yup that was me yesterday. Pumped out on a 6b I did a year ago as a warm up. Turns out that hanging on a small edge of wood for 7 weeks is rubbish preparation for sport climbing. Who knew!?

On the other hand, went to Hedbury today (only 3 other parties all day), and felt much stronger already. It seems to come back fast...

Babika 14 May 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

What a cheery article - made me smile a lot .

Thanks for posting.

OG 16 May 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

This is a lovely article and this quote could easily replace every of the “local angst” threads on the forums in recent days:

“Just respect the residents of Peak villages as you head through, just as locals should respect you as a fellow human trying to stay healthy and help the NHS.“

Cant really argue with that..!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...