loch coruisk scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxsmith 24 Jun 2019

Hi all, staying at the hut near loch coruisk later this summer for a try at completing the cuillin ridge.  If all goes to plan (unlikely!) we may have a spare day or two. Can anyone recommend some good scrambles that are easily accessible from the hut? thanks

Simon Caldwell 24 Jun 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

Druim nan Ramh traverse - after the start and until you get to Bidein Druim nan Ramh it's mostly a walk rather than a scramble, but it offers fantastic view of the main ridge.

skog 24 Jun 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

The Dubhs ridge is the obvious one - long and delightful, one of the finest scrambles in the country.

http://www.ootnaboot.scot/summer2004/20040501Dubhs.JPG

And the descent down An Garbh-choire back to the hut is an adventure in itself!

The SSE buttress of Sgur na Stri is fun, too, for a much shorter day:

http://www.ootnaboot.scot/summer2004/20040502SSEStri.JPG

Post edited at 13:30
OP maxsmith 24 Jun 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

hi thanks both, looks like some good suggestions...  how committing is the dubh ridge? (spare day ill be with a non climber who has only scrambled up to grade 2 but is fit and keen)

skog 24 Jun 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

Pretty committing, to be honest - although from memory you can descend after the abseil from Sgurr Dubh Beag, down into the corrie to the North (Coir' a Chaoruinn), avoiding the section up Sgurr Dubh Mor.

I'm not sure this makes life much easier, though!

The scramble I was thinking of on Sgurr na Stri is a grade 2/3, fun, and a much less serious day out, so it might be a better option - but the Dubhs ridge is pure magic.

OP maxsmith 24 Jun 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

Yeah I've been aware of Dubhs ridge for a long time - sounds quality.  But I feel it's overoptimistic to do that and cuillin ridge over four days. Plus my spare day partner is in her 60s so sgurr stri sounds the better option, possibly combine that with the walk out.

In reply to skog:

Grand photos 😉

Both are great choices 

Post edited at 19:03
 skog 24 Jun 2019
In reply to Stuart Macfarlane:

Ha, count yourself lucky I didn't break out the other photo...

Dr.S at work 24 Jun 2019
In reply to skog:

<engage innocent wondering voice>

Which other photo?

<disengage IWV>

skog 24 Jun 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

<engage innocent explanatory voice>

Oh, just an old snap of Stuart and some other pals of ours, on top of Sgurr na Stri, staring off over Loch Coruisk. Rear-view. You know the kind of thing.

<disengage IEV>

colinakmc 26 Jun 2019
In reply to skog:

You can actually sidle off into the Corrie before the abseil. Or there’s a traverse path from some distance before the summit of Sgurr Dubh Beag, that lands you on the col below Mhor. 

deepsoup 27 Jun 2019
In reply to skog:

> The SSE buttress of Sgur na Stri is fun, too, for a much shorter day:

That looks fantastic. Putting that on my long-term mental 'to-do' list now. 
Do you cross the 'bad step' from the hut and head back around towards Camasunary to get to it - is it an obvious line & easy to find?  (I confess, the one time I stayed at the hut I didn't walk in - paddled across from Elgol by kayak instead.)

To the OP - however you get up there, the summit of Sgur na Stri is worth a visit for the view alone.

skog 27 Jun 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, you do, and it was quite a long time ago, but from memory the line was pretty obvious. It's a good fun non-taxing excurison, and could easily be done as a day trip from Kilmarie or Elgol (or if you're staying at Camasunary), as long as the river isn't too high to cross.

It was in the Skye Scrambles first edition book; I don't know whether it's in the newer version.

deepsoup 27 Jun 2019
In reply to skog:

Sounds great, thanks.

el diablo 27 Jun 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

As you can see in the photo the weather isn’t that great, but still fun in the sub-optimal conditions. That’s me in the red jacket. A grand day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...