Liquid chalk allergy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annawells89 23 Dec 2019

My local climbing wall have recently introduced a "no loose chalk" policy so that now we have to use liquid chalk. It's something I've never used before and have discovered I seem to be allergic. I have a very itchy rash between all my fingers at the bases, which has got progressively worse since I started using liquid chalk. It's a bit like a sweaty heat rash (not "dry skin"), its driving me crazy  now! I wash my hands very thoroughly  after climbing but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried a couple of different brands. Anyone have any experience of this or advice?! 

Thank you!

Luke_92 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

I dont have any advice about the liquid chalk, but are you allowed to use a chalk ball? Most places seem to accept that they aren't "loose" chalk.

Removed User 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

How about applying a barrier cream beforehand. It might be counterproductive of course.

Or use a different wall...

OP annawells89 23 Dec 2019
In reply to Luke_92:

no chalk balls (or chalk bags). Even for bouldering! It's interesting and at first i was missing the psychological boost of "chalking up"! But it makes for much cleaner air and cleaner holds, and I'm surprised how little I miss the nornal chalk! 

In reply to Removed User:

Thanks maybe its worth a try to try a barrier cream  

It's the only wall within an hour, plus it's a really great wall!

MischaHY 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

How odd. That seems like it would be a real nightmare for people with sweaty hands, quite aside from the fact that chalk is too big in particle size to be counted as an air pollutant. 

It may be a mild allergic reaction to the alcohol in the liquid chalk. You could try this from Friction Labs which is alcohol free: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/friction-labs-secret-stuff-alcohol-free-chalk/ 

I'd also recommend checking out Rhino Skin Dry if you tend to sweat a lot, this is a game changer for me: https://shop.epictv.com/en/skin-care/rhino/rhino-dry 

Oh, and if you're not already doing it, hang a small fluffy hand towel from your chalk bag strap, it's actually rather helpful for removing the greasy feeling from tips if necessary when route climbing. 

In reply to annawells89:

Liquid chalk is a very nasty thing to put on skin. Be careful with barrier creams too, if you have sensitive skin it can make things worse. The other problem with a barrier cream is it will create a greasy/waxy layer on your skin (the barrier) which will at best repel the chalk (thus nullifying it's grip enhancing properties) or the the chalk will cut through it and you may have a worst of both worlds scenario.

Oceanrower 23 Dec 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Liquid chalk is a very nasty thing to put on skin.

You have to bear in mind that, whatever the problem is, liquid chalk is not a solution.

It's a suspension. 

(Gets coat)

Tigger 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Sounds like dermatitis if I'm honest, and will be due to the solvents used in the chalk. I'd stop using the stuff asap and see if it clears, are chalk balls allowed? If so you can get refillable ones to cut down on ongoing cost.

Rigid Raider 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Why do you need chalk? It's just another "badge". People have rock climbed for a hundred years without it, most of them outdoors on damp greasy rock. 

Chalk is a powerful dessicant and alkali so it is drying out the oils in your skin, so a bit of irritation is no surprise really. 

Post edited at 08:42
In reply to annawells89:

That policy sounds like my worst nightmare! I get a type of eczema that sounds similar to your reaction. Anything alcohol based ruins my hands, as do chalks with added drying agents. My hands don’t get dry as such but come out in tiny itchy blisters, usually between my fingers.

The alcohol free liquid chalk mentioned above might be worth a go as that might be less harsh on the skin. That and diligent moisturising or a barrier cream when you aren’t climbing, even though the issue isn’t dryness per se. 

Tigger 23 Dec 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Have you tried climbing on small worn out sloping holds at a warm sweaty wall? Outside you can get away without using chalk as much, but indoors I know my grade would drop significantly if i refused to use it.

Not only that, slipping of crimps more regularly would heighten the risk of finger injury and shred skin pretty fast.

DaveHK 23 Dec 2019

> Why do you need chalk? It's just another "badge". 

Is there a good view from that high horse?

Dan Arkle 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Most liquid chalk has alcohol in it and is fairly harsh. 

There is one for sale at decathlon called Simond Soft Grip which has a very different base. 

Try that. 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan I will try the soft grip! We had the "strong grip" before (sounded like it should make the climbing easier :-P )

Mr Lopez 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Try making your own? Liquid chalk is just chalk with a solvent, and depending on the brand that solvent may have something that irritates your skin, or the solvent itself might be doing it, so you could try diferent solvents to see if there's one that works for you and then use that to make the liquid chalk.

There's different grades you can try of isopropil alcohol, rubbing alcohol, ethanol, hell, maybe you could even use hand sanitizer if that works for you which has moisturiser which might not affect the friction. If coming up with a good formula you may even sell it tat the wall make some money

Loads of info around if you search, i.e. youtube.com/watch?v=x8UL3_RAQQk&

Rigid Raider 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

Bad advice - any kind of alcohol will sting the broken skin and will dry the skin out even faster. 

MischaHY 23 Dec 2019

Funny how people who say this are inevitably blessed with dry, sweat free skin. 

Some people are just anatomically different and sweat far more. 

I could get away with liquid chalk now but only because I use products to dry my skin. Previously it would have seriously impacted my climbing ability. 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Most liquid chalk has alcohol in it and is fairly harsh. 

> There is one for sale at decathlon called Simond Soft Grip which has a very different base. 

> Try that. 

According to Simond it contains 30% alcohol.

In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Try making your own? Liquid chalk is just chalk with a solvent, and depending on the brand that solvent may have something that irritates your skin, or the solvent itself might be doing it, so you could try diferent solvents to see if there's one that works for you and then use that to make the liquid chalk.

> There's different grades you can try of isopropil alcohol, rubbing alcohol, ethanol, hell, maybe you could even use hand sanitizer if that works for you which has moisturiser which might not affect the friction. If coming up with a good formula you may even sell it tat the wall make some money

> Loads of info around if you search, i.e. youtube.com/watch?v=x8UL3_RAQQk&

The problem with any liquid chalk is that its nature drives it deeper in the the skin. The solvent is bad for the skin but so is the chalk.

DaveHK 23 Dec 2019

> According to Simond it contains 30% alcohol.

Bloody lightweights.

Rigid Raider 23 Dec 2019
In reply to annawells89:

In the end the best advice for the OP, since liquid chalk contains chalk and probably ethanol, both terrible dessicants, is to use a really greasy skin cream after climbing. Most creams and lotions are emulsions of oil and water so you need one that's more like a lipsalve - wax and oil. 

We had a dinner lady in our canteen who developed really bad dry skin on her hands and who tried pure shea butter, which is just a very waxy vegetable oil and within two days her skin had cleared up. 

Dan Arkle 23 Dec 2019

Thanks for the correction. 

It still might be worth a try, it definitely feels very different on the skin to the other stuff. 

> According to Simond it contains 30% alcohol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...