Kipling Groove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian breslin 07 Oct 2019

Kipling Groove (HVS 5a)Kipling Groove (HVS 5a)

Gimmer Crag

I realise this is a long shot , but here goes . My dad was 80 in September and to celebrate he met up with his old climbing partner to celebrate the 60 th Anniversary of them climbing Kipling Groove on Gimmer Crag in 1959 . This was a major test piece back then climbed without a harness or little protection . He was unable to walk up to Gimmer Crag on this occasion but they were treated to watching some climbers on the route through a telescope. He has asked me if I could find out who the climbers were so he might be able to make contact and pass on his good wishes. Like I said a long shot but if anyone knows of anyone who was climbing on Gimmer on Thursday 19th Sept. it would be great to hear from you .

Greenbanks 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

Lovely story. Hope you find the climbers & that they recognise the meaning of their ascent to your Dad. Great route to choose too!

In reply to Ian breslin:

Hi,

I’ve just looked at the logged climbs for ascents of Kipling Groove on the 19th September unfortunately there are none recorded. The nearest date for an ascent is the 18th September. Good luck with your search.

Chris

Max factor 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

What a nice story, and what a great route. Very hard to put yourself there in 1959 gear! Respect to your dad and his generation. 

Ian breslin 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

Correction to the post it was actually Friday 20 th September . Exactly 60 years to the day of my dads ascent . 

Ian breslin 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Christheclimber:

Thanks for the research Chris  . Hopefully someone will log there ascent in due course 

Darron 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

I too climbed KG last century. However I don’t think a 1990’s ascent has quite the same kudos as 1959 😊. 

Respect to your Dad and good luck with your search.

John Kettle 09 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

I was up there on Friday 20th and two teams climbed Kipling Groove, one pair of gents around lunchtime and a three who started up it at about 2pm and were still on the upper traverse at about 6pm when I looked up from the valley floor. We crossed it twice, finishing up the last few metres of it the second time. I chatted with both teams so if you let me know which it was (or time of day) I may be able to track them down.

Awesome effort leading that in 1959!

Post edited at 20:50
Ian breslin 09 Oct 2019
In reply to John Kettle:

Thanks John , brilliant . I’ll get some timings of my dad and get back to you 

Ian breslin 11 Oct 2019
In reply to John Kettle:

Hi John , the group my dad watched on KG was the first group of 2 climbers . Would be great if you could make contact with them .

Removed User 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Ian breslin:

The rope of two was myself and climbing partner Tony Sawyer

Graham

Michael Breslin AKA Spike 15 Oct 2019

Hi  Graham  thank you for getting in touch my name is Michael Breslin AKA  Spike it was 60 yrs to the day since 20 Sept 1959 since my climbing partner Olly and I climbed KG  having reached 80yrs the week before i thought a reunion was overdue so Olly  myself and a few friends arrived in the valley armed with telescope below the crag it was icing on the cake when I saw climbers on the route.when i returned home I started to think it would have been great to have met you both  and that’s where my son Ian comes in having done the climb as well   Olly and I live in Lancaster so maybe we could arrange To meet somewhere mutual and have the Craic

..WhenKipling Groove (HVS 5a)

Removed User 18 Oct 2019
In reply to Michael Breslin AKA Spike:

Your son has passed on your email address, I'll contact you on that.

Graham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...