Kalymnos in March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chutch 24 Feb 2023

Has anyone been climbing in Kalymnos in March or already been this year. I know the tufas can drop but does it really affect most of the climbing? 
Any input gratefully received. 

peppermill 25 Feb 2023
In reply to chutch:

Yeah I was there March 2022. Absolute ballache and expensive getting there (from Scotland at least) before the direct flights to Kos start up but so, so worth it unless you're desperate for super steep tufas (as many were dripping). If I went again in March I'd try to go for longer than a week due to the time and expense of getting there.

You'll have the place pretty much to yourself for lots of scooter and climbing based antics but take warm clothes. It can be cold!

AlanLittle 25 Feb 2023
In reply to chutch:

I'm going late March / early April and I have a couple of tufa-y routes on my wishlist, so fingers crossed. The earliest I've been previously was May, and everything was bone dry.

There's an active facebook group where you could ask about current conditions.

In reply to chutch:

I was there mid April last year, and Grande Grotta was absolutely dripping. A few people were still trying to climb it, but really shouldn't have been as a dripping tufa is when it's at its weakest from what I understand. 

And in I think it was Ghost Kitchen, someone got hit by a big tufa that got ripped off and it broke their collar bone. And I think there was one more story of someone getting hit by a tufa while I was there. 

Grande Grotta had stopped dripping by the beginning of May, though. 

I think March would mean most tufa climbing is out, even the less steep stuff. 

Still plenty of face climbing to do on the island though. I don't even like tufa climbing, and I still really enjoy Kaly. 

If you really enjoy the tufas, and want the lowest risk of accidents involving tufas, just go in October when they've had all summer to dry out. 

OP chutch 26 Feb 2023
In reply to peppermill:

Great info thanks. Getting there should be easy for us as want to go to Athens anyway so will then hop to Kos.

OP chutch 26 Feb 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Hadn't thought about Facebook. Will checking it out. Great thanks

OP chutch 26 Feb 2023
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

Will definitely avoid the tufas if we go then. I will look at the guidebook again to find face climbing and check out the Facebook pages as suggested above. Thanks

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Feb 2023
In reply to chutch:

We arrived this morning and grabbed a few routes in the afternoon. Masouri is 100% closed at the moment, though that will change in the weeks ahead. The crags all look pretty dry, it has been quite a mild winter apparently. We scanned the crags but didn't see another climber,

Chris

OP chutch 26 Feb 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks. That is great information. If you are feeling generous then updating me over the next couple of days would be amazing as I am planning to come with my wife and 2 kids - 10 years old - as we have taken the kids out of school for the year to home school and climb and see lots of nature and history. This is part of the climbing bit so is good to get it right.

Chris

Mike-Lea 27 Feb 2023

We’re heading out at the start of April for the first time in 15yrs or so. Will have two kids in tow this this time so scooters are out, thinking of hiring a car, does anyone have any recommendations of companies to use? Is it best to hire in Pothia?

thanks 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Feb 2023
In reply to Mike-Lea:

We have used Mike Kardoulis's AutoMarket for years - a short walk from the ferry - kalymnoscars@gmail.com

Chris

Mike-Lea 27 Feb 2023
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Great, thank you

Mike-Lea 28 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Chubb:

Thanks👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...