Kalymnos Guidebooks - which one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 18 Sep 2019

I have 2 old local ones. 2009 and 2011 I think. I usually use the send app to supplement these but that app is not on my phone anymore and I don't think it exists.  This trip I am keen to explore some new stuff as i've climbed at most of the usual crags many times.

The 2019 local guide is £45 - wowzers.

You can get the rockfax one for much less. Or just use the app for £4 (If i understand it correctly).

Are there any other options like the send app? Is the local guide worth the premium over the rockfax specifically if I want to visit new crags with routes in the 7s? Is the rockfax app just as good? Seems to have GPS for the actual crags which might be useful if I'm off exploring.

I am aware that some route names were changed since the rockfax came out but i very much doubt that will affect me too much so not really bothered too much by that.

**Please don't turn this into a rant about rockfax, boltfunds etc etc, start a thread if you wanna do that. It's a genuine ask.

Ta.

yoshi.h 18 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Honestly the rockfax one is fine, and the usual great quality.
Politics aside - why would you pay twice as much?
I came across some name swaps on the Summer time wall but if you have half a brain it is easy to figure out which route is which.

OP snoop6060 18 Sep 2019
In reply to yoshi.h:

Does the app contain the exact same info? The reason being is that I like the sound of the geolocate function of the app as I am a complete prat when it comes to locating pretty much anything. That said I also seem to recall that function is IOS only but might be wrong as I cannot find that. My phone is android.

whenry 18 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

I've got the 2019 local guide (and the 2010 version). I don't think there was such a price difference last year (having just seen the Rockfax on sale on Amazon for about £25), and I too was unsure which I should get. There may be a couple of smaller, new, crags in the local guide, but otherwise coverage is nearly identical. In the end, I went with the local guide because I've found some Rockfax guides to be a bit uninspiring - and I had the opportunity to look at both Rockfax and the new local guide before I made a decision, and decided that I preferred the look of the local one. At £20 cheaper though, I might have bought the Rockfax!

In reply to snoop6060:

> Does the app contain the exact same info? The reason being is that I like the sound of the geolocate function of the app as I am a complete prat when it comes to locating pretty much anything.

The Kalymnos package in the app has been updated since the book and contains a few new crags plus the silly route names changes. It is now also available on Android - https://rockfax.app

Yes, the maps geolocate.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Sorry, just to add to Alan's response. The offline drawn maps geolocate on iOS only. You can still use stuff like navigation to parking/buttresses etc on Android via the embedded Google Map. Geolocate offline maps are in the pipeline but development time right now is focused on bugs and crashes. Hopefully we'll start this feature or others in the next month or so. Cheers 

kipper12 18 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

To be fair finding your way to and around the crags on this small island isn't much of a challenge. 

OP snoop6060 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Does the geolocate of actual routes/buttresses work with online maps? Think I get 4G in most places there I seem to recall so don't need offline I do not think.

In reply to snoop6060:

> Does the geolocate of actual routes/buttresses work with online maps? Think I get 4G in most places there I seem to recall so don't need offline I do not think.

The geolocate system doesn't use 4G, it uses the Location Services which come through the GPS satellites. There are 21 of these and you need to be able to see around 7 or 8 to get a solid location. They are mostly lowish in the sky though so in deep gorges it can be tricky (I have had 8 satellites in Chee Dale though although I reckon these are reflecting off the sides so they aren't always that accurate). Also, at the base of a crag sometimes you can only see the ones in one direction which makes triangulation trickier. Usually though you get enough and it has no link to 4G signal or your mobile carrier signal. The top of a wildly remote Scottish hill with 'No Service' will probably have 21 satellites.

#toomuchinformation

Alan

In reply to snoop6060:

Buy the local guide, if only for the dreamy photo on the inside of the back cover. 

Also it directly supports the guys who do the majority of the work. 

tjekel 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

This is assuming the world is flat and all satelites are this side  

Andy Say 18 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> Are there any other options like the send app? 

You could try the Vertical Life app. That covers Kalymnos.

OP snoop6060 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Andy Say:

Thanks, though I got as far as the app store and the apps tag line was 'Turn everyday into a perfect climbing day. Start your vertical life'. Nah  

In reply to snoop6060:

I have just cleared up this thread as per the OP's original request. Please use the thread linked to below if you have any bot funding related comments.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/ukc/rockfax_bolt_fund_donations-710320

Alan

Andy Say 20 Sep 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> Thanks, though I got as far as the app store and the apps tag line was 'Turn everyday into a perfect climbing day. Start your vertical life'. Nah  

😊 It's not THAT bad when you get into it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...