It's getting worse in Victoria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pay Attention 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What's this about?   Crafty marketing?

The link took me to a page where I can get a pay-per-day subscription to the Australian.

Post a summary to avoid anyone being lured into time wasting trap.

cap'nChino 31 Oct 2019
In reply to Pay Attention:

It seems the stroy has changed in the last few hours in any case, this link should work https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/instructor-escapes-ban-on-grampians...

Pay Attention 31 Oct 2019
In reply to cap'nChino:

Thanks for the clarification, Cap'n

Your update informed me that "Parks Victoria has retreated from indigenous demands that a high-profile climbing instructor be banned from teaching in the Grampians."

Thinks: I will retreat.  Back to lurk in the winter climbing thread if this is what cuts the muster in RockTalk

Dan Arkle 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Pay Attention:

Both links fail. 

Pedantic PS

Compare passes the muster, OR cuts the mustard. 

cap'nChino 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Weird that the links aren't working anymore, strange decision of The Australian to do this. 

Pay Attention 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Pedantic PS

> Compare passes the muster, OR cuts the mustard. 

Thanks Dan

It was a deliberate choice to use "cuts the muster".   It is a better fit than the spurious Yankeeism "cuts the mustard".

john arran 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Pedantic PS

> Compare passes the muster, OR cuts the mustard. 

Pedantic reply

Cuts muster

J1234 01 Nov 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

This is rather interesting https://www.3aw.com.au/rock-climbing-instructor-happy-to-meet-with-traditio... , the written content is a little concise, however at the bottom is a sound bar thing which if you click the play button, allows you to hear more comment.

Post edited at 08:30
 Tom Valentine 01 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

....or pass the mustard....

leland stamper 01 Nov 2019
In reply to J1234:

Oooohhh it does sound fun. I think I'd probably have Tori banned as a racist, but I'd also have Boris looked up for his racism so what do I know. Meanwhile Victorian Climbing Discussion Forum  on FB makes UKC forums read like a teaparty

Morgan Woods 02 Nov 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Here is a good resource if anybody is interested:

https://savegrampiansclimbing.org/

J1234 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Morgan Woods:

My interest in this is from the perspective of environmental geography, particularly Post Colonial attitudes.

So far we seem to have the perspective of;

Climbers.
Victoria Parks.
The Instructor.

but not directly of the Indigenous people. I will have a root around this evening and see if I can come up with something, but would be good if someone had a link that showed their attitudes to this.

Morgan Woods 04 Nov 2019
In reply to J1234:

Part of the reason it has happened is because of the treaty the state gov has made with the Aboriginal people of Victoria. This puts Parks Vic on the hook for fines if there is mis-management of indigenous cultural assets including climbing sites. They are very much at the centre of management plans for the park but haven't provided much in the way of public statements....agree would be interesting to know more of that perspective.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...