Isometric for Tennis Elbow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramon Marin 08 Aug 2019

Isometrics seem to be all the rage now, does anyone know what specific exercises for tennis elbow are good? Thanks

In reply to Ramon Marin:

Well that really depends! 

How long have you had the injury? Are you sure it's tennis elbow, and what are you doing for it at present?

Jungle_153 08 Aug 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Have a look on YouTube, Dave McLeod has recently put a video on addressing elbow injuries.

OP Ramon Marin 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Yes exactly, he has read the same literature about isometrics as I have, but he didn't mentioned any exercises and can't find any online

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I had it for 18 months. Seen 3 physios and a surgeon. I definitely have a bad case of lateral epicondolisis. Been following different protocols and other therapies for over a year to little improvement so need to start looking at alternative protocols and isometrics seem to be effective on some people (according to studies), if anything better to the classic ecentrics, which they work as they work rid of my tennis elbow on my right arm, but with my left is a tendonosis from hell

Dan Arkle 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Google Julian saunders stuff. 

Mainly golfers advice, but some tennis too. 

Top tip, be very gentle with the stretches, they can really aggravate it if overdone. 

http://drjuliansaunders.com/dodgy-elbows/

Martin Bennett 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I once once had a very stubborn instance of it. Advice from a mate was as follows: 1) warm it with a hot water bottle for 10 mins. 2) massage (i.e. rub) it vigorously across the arm for 5 mins. 3) Now it's fully warmed up use your finger grip thingy (or a tennis ball) GENTLY and NOT at arm's length for 5 mins or so. Repeat whenever you've a spare quarter hour or so.

For me, after a year of trying, this worked like magic. It had obviously worked for the mate who recommended it. Doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.

In reply to Ramon Marin:

I have had it in both elbows. The first time I tried resting, stretching etc. A few months later things weren't improving. I'd read Dave's book and was chatting to a physio friend at which point I realised that the pain level during exercise needed to be a fair bit higher than I had imagined.

I started doing heavy eccentrics, low reps and a lot of a funky kind of stretch I'll try to video later (pressing hard just beside the epicondyle while rotating wrist and wiggling fingers). It got better in 2-3 weeks.

The next year I got it in the other elbow but found to my cost that the same treatment is not recommended in the early stages - in the early stages pain seems to be a sign of aggravation rather than remodeling of collagen. So I dropped the weight, kept climbing lightly, not too much stretching (but some of my above stretch) and it got better in a few weeks again.

Whether isometrics could be even better than eccentrics? Maybe. The aim for chronic tendonosis is maximum loading, minimum aggravation.

Some good info here:  https://www.trainingbeta.com/hang-right-part-ii-elbow-pain-climbers/

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Yes I've spoken to Julian thanks. I'm after info on isometrics, no ecentrics which I have been doing for 18 months

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Yes read the literature that Tyler Nelson is basing his isometric talk. He's one of the therapist leading the conversation on isometric loading rather than extensor loading. It's interesting reading. I was after anyone who's had experience doing them to see how they compare to ecentrics most protocols are based on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...