Is Top Rope Possible At Malham Cove?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leon_JF 14 Nov 2020

Malham CoveIs it possible to top rope at Malham Cove?

1poundSOCKS 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

Easy to set up on the trad I imagine, you can walk to the top of the wings. Not that I have ever tried. For the sport you could clipstick up a route. Although I don't think much is dry atm.

The Lemming 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

Sure is.

You just have to get the rope to the lower off point first.

baron 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

> Malham CoveIs it possible to top rope at Malham Cove?

The last time I was there that’s exactly what was happening all along the catwalk.

Turn up, clip stick the first and maybe second bolt, dog to the clipped bolt then clip stick the next one, repeat until you’ve reached the lower offs or until you’re knackered whichever comes first.

Lankyman 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

> Malham CoveIs it possible to top rope at Malham Cove?

Park your ar*e on The Terrace and the world is your oyster.

Michael Gordon 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

With a long enough rope, no doubt you could top rope the whole thing. No, I'm not recommending it!

J1234 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

Once saw a team slack lining there, so why not a top rope?

Jackob 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Leon_JF:

Im not entirely sure why you have received so many thumbs down but ill try to answer your question as best as possible.

It is entirely possible to top rope at Malham cove. There are several easier routes on the beck wall which been recently bolted by Ian Dunn you can reach the lower offs by reaching down to them from the catwalk (please ensure you do not go directly through the lower offs but instead use two quickdraws) There are around six routes are graded between 5c to 7a alot of which are nearly perma dry particularly Rodney's Route (6b) and Rain Dances (6c+)  the easier ones do get wet however dry quickly. If you are successful in trying these routes and want to try something harder, climbers often leave there ropes hanging on  the routes on the catwalk and most people are fairly friendly and happy to share ropes for top roping (maybe less so for leading) and it is also easy to put the rope/draws into adjacent routes. 

Malham cove can seem intimidating and slightly cliquey with plenty of hard climbers but persevere and you'll find that most people are very friendly and you'll soon be eager to get on the sharp end. Enjoy

Tyler 15 Nov 2020
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Easy to set up on the trad I imagine, you can walk to the top of the wings. Not that I have ever tried. For the sport you could clipstick up a route. Although I don't think much is dry atm.

Anchors at the top of right wing are not great really, not easy to set up a TR without an extra rope or belaying from above. The OPs best option might be to learn how to clip stick up a route, that opened up a world of climbing for me!

1poundSOCKS 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Tyler:

> not easy to set up a TR without an extra rope

I always use a static to rig a TR on trad, otherwise the climbing rope rubs over the edge. I presume that's how most people do it.

OP Leon_JF 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Jackob:

That’s brilliant many thanks for you detailed reply 😊

OP Leon_JF 16 Nov 2020
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I also do the same when putting in a top rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...