Interesting film of Joe Brown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 24 Aug 2022

I found this interesting https://bbcrewind.co.uk/asset/600eb7b53a53aa002791fbac?q=climbing , never seen this film before.

mrjonathanr 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Great clip; thanks for sharing.

abr1966 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Never seen that before...thankyou! As an older (packed in) climber, with the Roaches as my nearest big crag that was a really good watch ..

Rob Exile Ward 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Extraordinary. A unique character. Shan't see his like again.

Greenbanks 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Excellent stuff. Stirring music!!

The Pylon King 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Brilliant! Ive done that climb!

Sean Kelly 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Much the same conditions when I did my ascent of this famous climb. My second got so cold that another had to go up to remove my sparse protection. Still memorable. I can recall running back down to see my rope dangling free from the overhang.

Michael Hood 24 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Great little film, but with all that snow around, hardly bothering to clean his boots, showboating across the roof and the verglass on the top, it just feels like he's taking the piss - mightily impressive 😁 

Philb1950 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

An amazingly gifted climber, the best of a skilful generation, who led amazing routes without all the modern paraphernalia. Last week I watched a team aid Cave Crack at Froggatt and the leader said the hardest part was getting past a cam he’d placed in the lip. I replied that the hardest part if he’d tried it like Joe Brown in pumps and no runners would definitely have been hitting the ground.

Offwidth 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

If you watch, there is a footwear change on the Pedestal.

Kryank 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Thanks for that, it’s a great video. 

OP Godwin 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

A few things struck me about the film.

1. It was filmed 2 months after I was born, and I believe it was one of the harshest winters.
  2. A friend of mine who recently died, and was climbing at the same period, told me tales of "rock climbing" on Gimmer on Christmas Day in the snow, and told me they did not in those days go winter climbing, just climbing. 
  3. Joes speaking about the psychology of risk and why he climbed. Some topics are perennial.
  4. Watching him climb, and the narrative about Joes climbing in the greater ranges, made me think that his climbing at the Roaches would be good preparation.
  5. I wondered if it was possible to protect the climb better in those days, and thought it could not have been much fun for a struggling second.

Glad people have enjoyed.

eric the good 25 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I heard sometime ago that Zoe Brown was writing a biography of her father Joe. Do you know if this has surfaced yet?

AJay 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Brilliant! The music is hilarious …Thanks for sharing.

In reply to Penistone:

This shows what a wonderful, uncomplicated, straightforward, but very sharp guy he was. I got to know him a bit in the late 60s (in Norway, etc), then later he helped me a lot with my Peak book (Right Unconquerable, etc), but I'm happy to say I visited him again not many months before he died, and although he was very frail, the old spark was still there. He lightened up when I started talking about climbing, and we then talked for nearly two hours ... a very treasured memory indeed.

Later addition: He was so astonishingly clear in the way he spoke (no ums or ers, and none of this dreadful new trend of peppering sentences with 'like') that you'd think he had postgraduate degree. But he left school at the age of 14 or 15. A very great man, with an inner greatness that is very hard to define.

Post edited at 23:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...