In memory of Sutty: Raising funds for MRT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marie 08 Jun 2020

Hi all

It has been a really difficult time for lots of people of late, and more recently the family and friends of Keith Sutcliffe 'Sutty'.

Sutty, I think, had been around since the dinosaurs roamed the earth and played a large part in many peoples lives across the decades, not least those in the climbing community - the hearts of which he will live on in.

With the support of Sutty's family, I have set up a just giving page to raise much needed funds for Mountain Rescue.  They do a tremendous job and I know all of you will share this view so if you would like to donate, you can do so here: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sutty

It is also proposed that a memorial 'picnic' weekend be held, but obviously that will not be for some time yet. Whether you knew Sutty or not, you are invited.  Sutty was inclusive and keen that no one was ever left out and these weekends were a great way to make new friends and outdoor activity contacts.  I will post more details when confirmed. 

With many thanks and best wishes

Marie

Offwidth 08 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Thanks Marie

Thee are some incorrect views on Social Media circulating about Just Giving so I thought it worth copying this:

https://fullfact.org/online/justgiving-commission-captain-tom/

Just Giving is very much OK for small donations from multiple sources but I suggest people looking to donate a little more, and gift aiding, consider doing so directly.... read the information linked here (as Just Giving do still have a 5% fee on gift aid):

https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/what-your-support-means-to-us

OP marie 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Many thanks - of course anyone can donate directly to MRT - which would be fab if you don't already

Funding hosts can be a bit of a nightmare (but they do still have to cover costs themselves) and on this occasion it seemed the easiest way to fund raise in Sutty's memory.

Doghouse 08 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Have a bump

dread-i 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

£675, so far. Come on folks, you may not have known him, but you know of mountain rescue.

Bump, btw.

OP marie 09 Jun 2020
In reply to dread-i:

> £675, so far. Come on folks, you may not have known him, but you know of mountain rescue.

> Bump, btw.

marsbar 09 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Bump

In reply to marie:

bump

In reply to marie:

The fund only needs £190 more now to reach the £1000 target ...

OP marie 10 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Thank you so much for all the shares, bumps and donations - we are just £135 short of our target now

We will keep the donation page open until just after Sutty's funeral, so if you have a few pounds spare around pay day, the fund would massively appreciate it.

If you are unable to donate yourself, please share the link with friends and via social media - this is still a great way to contribute to the cause and raise awareness of MRT.

Just in case you didn't see my message on the other post, Sutty loved to partake in a cheeky whisky and for a long time along with a few friends they would virtually share a dram on what was known as 'Whisky Wednesday'.

You are invited to join us THIS EVENING (Wednesday 10 June 2020) via Zoom and raise a toast to Sutty!

Topic: Whisky Wednesday!
Time: Jun 10, 2020 08:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/71462930845?pwd=TmF1ZVRTUTE0MzFHTU90WVppbU5Edz09

Meeting ID: 714 6293 0845
Password: 2ijZnK

Nic 10 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

You should be there now...

OP marie 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Nic:

❤ Thank You!

Thank you to everyone who has donated and shared, we've now passed the target!

We'll be keeping the just giving page open until early July, so if you do have any spare change and would like to contribute in memory of Sutty, this is a fantastic cause.

Of course you can donate direct to MRT too at any time - or perhaps consider setting up a monthly standing order 

Many thanks

Marie 

OP marie 16 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Wow! Thank you so much everyone! We exceeded the £1000 target which is absolutely fantastic news!

Due to an error on my part in setting up the page initially, we had to close the donations early so that JustGiving could change it from a crowdfunding page to a charity fundraiser and send the donations directly to the Mountain Rescue account - who are already set up on there to receive donations - apologies for any confusion.

Once again, many thanks for your generosity, Sutty would have been over the moon!

Take care

Marie

Graham6664 17 Jun 2020
In reply to marie:

Hi,

I'd like to make a donation, I met Sutty once many years ago when I first started climbing, at a picnic at Stanage in December, he was an amazing character. I tried to follow the link to the MRT direct but following the option to donate there was just a statement no link to follow allowing me to donate, do you have a link to take me to the correct page as the just giving page has now closed for donations.

Kind Regards

Graham.

OP marie 19 Jun 2020
In reply to Graham6664:

Hi Graham, sorry for the delay in replying.

To donate direct to MRT, you need to go to this page: https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/donate/.  There is an option to donate with 'one touch'.

I'm not sure it works on a phone (at least I couldn't see the donate box on my phone last night) so it would be best to do it from another device.

Best wishes, Marie 

Graham6664 01 Jul 2020
In reply to marie:

Hi Marie,

Sorry not checked the Forums for a while so just saw your reply, thanks for the link, I have just set up a monthly direct debit. I don't think there will be any connection to Sutty but I will know its in his memory.

Best Wishes

Graham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...