Hutton Roof guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EdS 28 Aug 2019

Is there a guide to Hutton Roof available without buying the the entire Lancashire Rock guide?

By available - I mean I'm happy ot buy. Just don't want the the full book

Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS:

There is a bouldering one which should help identify the areas:

http://www.lakesbloc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/guides/farleton-limestonel...

OP EdS 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

Cheers - pity there is no topo

Michael Hood 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

That covers it nicely, just takes a bit of care to sort out the order of the various bits

Edit: South America Wall is the first bit from the usual approach, and Ape Buttress is the last. Note also that some of the areas have two pages to look at (doubt this edit bit is needed by Jon). I copied all the info into a little Word doc guide for myself several years ago but I cant find it at the moment (probably lost on an old PC).

Post edited at 12:41
 Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS:

> Cheers - pity there is no topo

There is, in the guidebook

OP EdS 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

but I don't want the full guide book - normally, wouldn't venture into Lancashire.

:-0

After all I can walk to Guisecliffe in 15 minutes from home and Brimham is a quick drive.

Hutton Roof be a handy change form Inglesports Wall on days we sack caving off, especially as SWMBO isn't really a climber - except on limestone, in the dark & in wellies.

Be a pointless waste of printed paper on something I don't want and don't need.

If I could buy the relevant bit - now thats a differnet matter.

Jon Read 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS:

Albums are better than singles though.

Dark-Cloud 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS:

I was only joking, with the bouldering topo and the other link you should be able to figure out most stuff, the lines are pretty obvious, the main wall shown in the bouldering guides with the little overhang is where the best little routes are, the other area up the top is pretty steep and has horrible landings

Depending on which direction you are coming into Ingleton from there is probably  better options, Twisleton and Pot Scar to name a couple.

Post edited at 13:12
 ian caton 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS:

Do you really need a guide to Hutton Roof? 

Michael Hood 28 Aug 2019
In reply to EdS and anyone else:

I've found my little word docs that are basically the lancashirerock web pages for Hutton Roof.

One goes from L to R (6 "non-blank" pages), the other (8 pages) allows you to print it into a little A5 booklet (2 pieces of double sided A4).

If anyone wants it then just Email me with your email address and I'll send them across; <200KB

Jon Stewart 28 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> Albums are better than singles though.

Albums need a couple of decent singles on them to be worth buying though, plus other decent less popular tracks and fillers you can put up with. Otherwise, just catch the song you thought might be worth a listen on youtube, and move on.

C Witter 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

The hits, in this case, are all on South America Wall and the Ronson Kirby wall (notably, Cyclops).

To the OP: a quick search on the crag entry here for photos and via a search engine for a topo will give you the significant key lines; the rest can be worked out from the Lancashire Rock descriptions. Pretty much every feature has a climb, and all are climbable at around H/VS 5a or lower, except perhaps two 6a lines and a few slightly harder boulder eliminates/traverses. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...