How has COVID-19 affected your climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshi.h 16 Mar 2020

I've had to cancel trips to Albarracin and have suffered local gyms closing. The virus has had quite an impact on my personal climbing and am reduced to training at home for the moment. How are UK crags? I've heard new reports on decreased footfall in the Lake/Peak Districts. Has the virus affected anybody elses climbing life?

springfall2008 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Stuck at home this week due to having a fever.

Still, not long before the weather is up to outdoor climbing, we can isolate at the crag

Simon Caldwell 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

I've not been able to climb, but that's due to the weather rather than the virus.

Apparently there was no decreased footfall on the summit of Snowdon in the rain on Saturday!

Jimbo C 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

So far it's improved my climbing. I had a lovely few hours at Burbage N. on Friday instead of going to the wall. Did some enjoyable bouldering and had a bit of banter with a few like-minded people.

Blue Straggler 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

I probably got placed higher in the rankings for the final round of a friendly local indoor wall bouldering comp, on Friday, due not to better climbing but to fewer rivals present...

joem 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

I finally got round to putting the fingerboard up at home on Sunday. Just in case the walls close really.

Rigid Raider 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Well I cycled over the Nick or Pendle then up Whalley Nab last weekend and up Rawson's Raike in Rammy then up to the Peel Tower on Saturday and was still alive when I got home so no, it hasn't affected my climbing.

Baz P 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

I’m stuck in Spain on lockdown since Sunday, so no climbing this week. Also no bars cafes and shops. On the bright side though there are no queues at the supermarkets, unlike the U.K. preppers. 

cragtyke 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Baz P:

Probably a bit busier than usual on Stanage popular end today.

OP yoshi.h 16 Mar 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

with today's update I'm guessing a lot of walls will be closing quite soon. Can't think of better place to be than at the crag right now, unless everyone else is going...

mrphilipoldham 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

The panic buying in Aldi this morning meant I had to actually queue, must have arrived at Bamford about 4 minutes later than I’d planned.

Michael Hood 16 Mar 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Does this all mean a resurgence of unpopular and remote crags to ensure climbing without crowds?

cragtyke 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Hopefully if the weather plays ball. But is driving out to go cragging classed as essential travel? The argument may have to be based on it being socially distanced exercise to maintain good physical and mental health!

Myfyr Tomos 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Queues for Darker Angel and other routes on Craig Cau today.

Tom Valentine 16 Mar 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Possibly one of the few times where people who drive to the crag in single car occupancy will be able to claim the moral high ground over public transport users.....

Tom Valentine 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Not convinced until some one reports back on Cordelia (HVS 5a)

TomYoung 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Have had to pull out of our Kalymnos trip planned for Easter due to the island closing, but uni has also closed so looks like grit everyday for the foreseeable future!

Bamford at the weekend, Plantation today. As the days go on perhaps we'll go somewhere a tad more off the beaten track?!

JohnBson 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

I was going to go climbing indoors on Sunday. On Saturday I woke up with a cough and felt like I'd smoked 20 bines before bed and a temperature but my bank balance is full and I'm way too ugly to get enough drinks paid for me to get blackout drunk and have a heavy enough to do that kind of damage. Self isolating now. Hoping this will be a minor setback to my ultra training. Luckily it coincides with a rest week.

marktrik 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

We've been our a number of times over the past couple of weeks all over the peak district, springs here. 

We are happy to climb still and as far as I know its probably one of the best things to do at this time. 

Get outside.

pcassels 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Our local wall is still open but was quiet on Sunday, which meant my daughter was free to traverse large sections of the wall while my sister and I climbed. That said I'll probably actively avoid busier times.

climber34neil 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Busy out at curbar today, car park and road full of cars like it was a bank holiday weekend, although that could also be because it was a nice day and there hasn't been many of those recently 

mark s 16 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

weather has more impact than anything else on my climbing frequency. 

HeMa 17 Mar 2020
In reply to yoshi.h:

Why yes, the gyms closed yesterday or well close today. So, so much for my training (need to my mod my plans).

Also cancelled my Easter ‘Bleau trip.

And the weather is not really playing ball. Too cold/wet for climbing (might be able to do some boulders, will see), and too warm/wet for mixed stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...