Heading out climbing? Bird Restrictions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 11 May 2020

For all those desperate to rush out climbing. Be aware that it is not unusual at this time of the year for bird bans to have been placed on a number of the UK's crags. Information about nesting birds normally filters through from responsible climbers, Access Volunteers, National Park Rangers, etc. Since the lockdown, responsible climbers have been following climbing restrictions and for the others, it has not been possible to justify as necessary travel, survey visits to possible nesting sites, so the situation is unclear. It is worth remembering that whether a ban is in place or not, it is a serious offence to "willingly or recklessly" disturb nesting birds. The penalty for disturbing Schedule 1 birds such as peregrines could be an unlimited fine or six months imprisonment or both. If you became aware of nesting birds you would be well advised to immediately move away. Peregrines would be very vocal in letting you know their presence. With little recreational activity in the outdoors, it is quite possible that birds have returned to crags they would normally ignore.  I am posting this, aware that the BMC will be issuing guidelines very shortly, but for those intent on heading out from Wednesday, it is worth knowing regardless.

toad 11 May 2020
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Worth underlining that the absence of a ban does not mean there are no nesting birds at a crag. And that disturbing them could  mean a criminal conviction

OP Mike Conlon 11 May 2020
In reply to toad:

Thanks for emphasising that important point, which was the fundamental point I wanted to make but now realise I failed to do so.

Luke90 11 May 2020
In reply to Mike Conlon:

I think you made the point perfectly clearly but doesn't do any harm for someone to restate it for anyone that only skimmed your post. Thanks for raising an important topic.

In reply to Luke90:

As far as the Lakes is concerned all the agreed  restrictions to protect nesting birds are listed on the FRCC website and in the BMC RAD. Raven restrictions normally finish on 31 May and those for Peregrines continue to 30 June. Obviously it has not been possible this year to check that the birds are still present.

Kim 12 May 2020
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Eastern Grit - Ring Ouzel restrictions - we have not been able to get out and locate nests to the same extent as usual, but we're now working as hard as possible to find them and get signs up asap. Please be aware if you visit Stanage/Burbage/Higger/etc that signs may be out, but the absence of signs doesn't necessarily mean an absence of ouzels at present.

If you see any ouzels carrying food, alarm calling (harsh chack-chack-chack) or exiting/entering a crack in the rock - move away from the area as quickly as possible and ideally let me know asap (email via here is fine).

guisboro andy 12 May 2020
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Cant believe someone give you a thumbdown!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...