Hard Rock but For Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoeFoster59 10 May 2020

A lockdown musing whilst thumbing through the latest edition of Hard Rock, I wondered if you were to make a similar book but about bouldering which boulders would you add? Same premise as hard rock a collection of essays and pictures of boulders all around the country. You could split it into grades similar to classic hard and extreme. But for now what boulders would you add any grade and place in the UK?

You could call it Small Rock

Michael Gordon 10 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

Out of interest, what grades would be similar to "classic hard and extreme"? I like the title, but as per the Hard Rock thread where I think this was mentioned, my main concern would be encouraging further traffic (and therefore damage) to a few classic lines.

AMorris 10 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

Cool hypothetical topic. To answer the above, I have always felt like the difficulty 'tiers' in boulder land at:

<=6B+ equivalent to classic

6C-7B equivalent to hard

7B+=< equivalent to extreme

A few boulders off the top of me head (I am Welsh based, so Gog will be well represented):

Classic:

Crescent Arête (f5+) almost perfect, if not for the poor landing

Egg Arête (f6B) this could easily be my unbounded love for this problem, perhaps not quite book worthy!

The Ramp (V1) the only 10 star problem in the UK

Morrell's Wall (f6A+)

Hard:

Malc's Arete (f7B)

Tempest (f7A)

The Incredible Shaking Man sds (f7B)

Extreme:

Wavelength (V8+)

Deliverance (f7B+)

Careless Torque (f8A)

Voyager (f8B)

Blood Sport (f8A+)

And probably a load of mad prows up in the county/yorkshire.

There are so many.

In reply to JoeFoster59:

Fancy writing it ? Sounds great !

deacondeacon 10 May 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

F5's & 6's are classic, 7-7c are hard and 7c+ and over are extreme.

Sounds like a great book  

Jon Stewart 10 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

> You could call it Small Rock

Like it! But I think the essays would need to be scaled down equivalently to concise little ditties.

Crescent Arete, V2

Seven meters high it's soaring

A blade of rock that's never boring

Get through that crux that's in the middle

Top out, go home, call in at Lidl

Post edited at 14:45
 deacondeacon 10 May 2020
In reply to AMorris:

What's up with the Crescent Arete landing? I haven't done it for a while. 

OP JoeFoster59 10 May 2020
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I agree with your concern over increased traffic especially on such short classics. But it would be a nice addition to a bookshelf and most classics are pretty well known anyway. As for the grade split yeah something like Classic up to 6a+ Hard 6b-7b+ Extreme 7c-8c I think would work well.

Ben Farley 10 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

An ever changing subjective list, off the top of my head, some suggestions of problems that just popped into my brain...

Caseg Groove (V5)

Hueco Crack (ss) (f7A)

Not to be Taken Away (f6C)

Made In Heaven (V4)

Angel Deelite (f7A)

Perrin's Crack (V2)

The Incredible Shaking Man sds (f7B)

Lily Savage (V8)

Wil Treasure 10 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

An interesting idea.

I'm surprised how high people's grade boundaries are. I would put Hard Rock at 6A to 7A based on having some  easyclimbs and a couple just below my limit. The extreme version I'd go from about 6B upwards, but leaving towards mostly 7s with an 8A max. I guess it depends if you're basing it on how the books compared with the standards of the day or with today's standards.

Post edited at 15:34
 TheGeneralist 10 May 2020
In reply to Wil Treasure:

Got to agree with Will. The grade boundaries mentioned above are barmy.  I've done a few hard rock routes, and could probably do some of the easier extreme rock routes if I put the effort in.... But haven't climbers any boulders above 6b

Jon Stewart 10 May 2020
In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Got to agree with Will. The grade boundaries mentioned above are barmy.  I've done a few hard rock routes, and could probably do some of the easier extreme rock routes if I put the effort in.... But haven't climbers any boulders above 6b

But if you're buying a hypothetical coffee table book about bouldering, you'll probably be a boulderer, which means "it really starts at V8+".

AMorris 12 May 2020
In reply to deacondeacon:

seem to remember you tumble off a step if you fall

Will Hunt 12 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

This is a great idea!

Classic: <6C

Hard: 6C - 7C

Extreme: >7C

If it's a book about bouldering produced in the 2020s, there's no place for anything less than 7C in the extreme category. And to be honest, you'd really be looking at harder than that, but if you're producing a coffee table book of great looking climbs and essays you're going to need to expand the Extreme grade boundary down so that it's not just full of ratty 8Cs in limestone shitholes!

I'd put Matterhorn Arete into the Classic book over Morrell's Wall any day.

Toerag 13 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

Would it be heavily Peak biased, or are there sufficient 'classic' problems scattered around the country to make it worthwhile?

S Andrew 13 May 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Probably like the others - mainly Wales and Scotland, but the Peak would get a small section (perhaps about the same as Yorkshire and Dartmoor - and the Bowderstone)

😉

Post edited at 11:31
 DaveX 13 May 2020
In reply to JoeFoster59:

Cool idea. 

North Wales:
The Pinch (V7)

Dorset:
Lightning Strike (f7A+)

Dartmoor:
No match for climb id:36870

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...