Graph of climbing career

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ann S 09 Aug 2019

If you drew a graph of your climbing career to date, with time on one axis and grades on the other, which mountain range would it most resemble. Mine looks like like I dragged myself out of a ditch somewhere in Lincolnshire, stumbled onto the highest point in Cambridgeshire, climbed a hayrick in Suffolk and then meandered down to The Hackney Marshes. All in a mere 20 years.

Jon Read 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Ingleborough, from the south. Quick progression, long plateau, slow inevitable decline!

Andypeak 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Got to be Kinder Scout. Fairly steep progression but to no great height and now just a flat plateau which will hopefully continue for a considerable distance before the decline. 

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

I love your 'best climbing experience-untying'. Brill😳

SiWood 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine is exactly the shape of the Matterhorn with the highpoint being an ascent of the Matterhorn - that's got be more than a random coincidence

peppermill 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Less mountain range more pyramids at Giza. Random big spikes here and there with stretches of b*gger all interesting in between.

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

If only I could aspire to Kinder Scout, I'd be a happy belay bunny.

In reply to Ann S:

Mine was like the Peuterey Integrale ridge of Mont Blanc. Not.

jkarran 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine's like a breakwater, quick ladder up out of the boat, long 15 year walk to the end then a quick jaunt up the lighthouse and a leap off the top to take up swimming instead.

Jk

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

ahh, but you've published some damn fine books.

Andy Farnell 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Norfolk. Without the hilly bits.

Andy F

earlsdonwhu 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Tempted to say the Fens but that is perhaps doing myself a disservice so maybe Lithuania?

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Bit of a theme coming out here. Perhaps we should form the Plateau Club.

Club Motto will be from T.S. Elliot's Four Quartets-    "In my beginning is my end."

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I feel a sudden fellow feeling for Lithuanians.

Howard J 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine would show a slight increase over time, but mainly because most of the routes I first climbed 40 years ago have been upgraded.

Dave Garnett 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine's a jagged ridge, some well-spaced spiky bits, not impressively high but starting to feel quite long.  Maybe the Cuillins? 

In reply to Andy Farnell:

That damned Cromer Ridge was the bete noir of many mountaineers.

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Nice image. I'd be pleased with that.

pasbury 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Brilliant post! Does a red problem at bloc in Bristol represent a hill or a molehill?

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to pasbury:

If you're 5' 1" like me it's probably a tepui.

pasbury 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Andy Farnell:

> Norfolk. Without the hilly bits.

> Andy F

False modesty🙂

Andy Hardy 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine's like a very oblique traverse of the Marianna trench 😟 

Dave Cundy 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

I think my graph looks like a seismigraph during an earthquake .

Slow bumbly start ( 2 years at uni to break into Severe!), then a rapid jolt upwards (first E1 three years later) with a few aftershocks (first E2).

Big jolt downwards (when i discovered paragliding).

Next aftershock five years later (got back into climbing). 

Bit of a plateau since then.  Expecting the gentle side of the scarp slope to start kicking in a few years.  Don't care though, it's been a ball :-D

john arran 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Cho Oyu maybe. Spent a very long time gradually gaining considerable height, then wandered around for ages not knowing which point was the true summit, before finally realising that I'd already started on the long descent.

bonebag 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Can I join the Plateau Club too : )

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to john arran:

In that case will you be our first club President?

OP Ann S 09 Aug 2019
In reply to bonebag:

Certainly. Especially if you can come up with a club badge/logo. 

Dave Cundy 09 Aug 2019
In reply to john arran:

Reminds me of a day we went up Helvellyn in the mist.  Went up Dollywagon, contoured the next summit and couldn't find the trig point, even though we were sure where we were. Later, in the pub, we figured out there were TWO false summits between Dollywagon and Helvellyn, not one.

And that seems to mimic my climbing career as well.......

Post edited at 22:57
 Michael Gordon 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Mine is like one of those Munros where you think you must be at the top, only to find another wee bit slightly higher. Then you look back and wonder whether the other bit was higher. 

Post edited at 06:53
 john arran 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

> In that case will you be our first club President?

If ever I make it down, then maybe. But I can see a few subsidiary summits I'd like to have a go at so I'm expecting the descent to take a very long time.

DerwentDiluted 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Right now, I'm actually head and shoulders showing in the Dead Sea.  Because 'it's not there'.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

The Devil's Tower, long steady approach up the scree, soaring ascent (started training) to the wide summit plateau, followed by similarly precipitous descent (stopped training). Currently bumbling back down the lower slopes

Chris

Robert Durran 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

I think mine's a bit like an attempted traverse if Greenland. Lots of uphill with loads of exciting spiky bits, only to find myself on a featureless flat icecap with the odd treacherous crevasse. And I hate skiing anyway. So I'm heading back the way I came, probably by a different route; lots more exciting spiky bits, but generally downhill.

OP Ann S 10 Aug 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Ha ha. I was wondering if someone else would come up with a status below sea level. We've had someone down in the Marianas trench. I quite like the thought of underwater rock climbing.

OP Ann S 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

Some greatly amusing replies to my question and some have made me go to Google images. Lots of folk seem to have had interesting spiky bits on their graphs. I think my spiky bits were molehills, but then somebody has to be crag fodder to make other folk look good.

profitofdoom 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

> If you drew a graph of your climbing career to date.....

Flattish start, steep ascent continuing well up, shaky ups and downs at the top. Then down a massive drain

(Which mountain does that resemble??)

tjekel 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Ann S:

... A mixture of netherlands and hungarian plains. 

OP Ann S 10 Aug 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

Starting at the Slig, up Pinnacle ridge to Gillean followed by an unfortunate rapid descent into Lota Corrie.

OP Ann S 10 Aug 2019
In reply to tjekel:

Ah well. You could always take up dyke hopping.😊

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...