Gibraltar Rocks Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thepodge 13 Dec 2021

With the weather being rubbish & me having too much time on my hands that I can't dedicate to actual climbing, I thought I needed a new project I could dip in and out of. Trying to keep within ever changing lockdown rules this last 18-24 months I've been staying Sheffield side of the Peak District boarder and roaming the hills in and around Bradfield more. 

I know its on private land & there may have been issues with its closest resident but the house has been recently sold so I wondered if anyone could help me with some of the history of Gibraltar Rocks between Dale Dyke & Ughill.

DerwentDiluted, Alex Thompson & Ropeboy have all mentioned it in previous posts and its been said its possibly in some early guide books but does anyone know which ones or how I might get a copy of the relevant bits?

Thanks

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Dec 2021
In reply to thepodge:

I think it might be in the old blue Stanage guide - I recall us visiting it, Boozer's Buttress and a couple of long-gone quarries. That was around 1970/71,

Chris

In reply to thepodge:

I've had a play here last year. No bother from the residents of the house although I kept a low profile so may not have been seen. Didn't have any sort of guide but it was nice just to go and climb things that looked good and not worry about a grade. There was chalk there so others had clearly done the same.

msjhes2 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Chris Craggs:

The 73 Stanage guide mentions it and nearby Tor quarry but does not describe any routes.   The series 4 Stanage guide also mentions it with no route descriptions but does describe 11 routes in Tor quarry.

msjhes2 13 Dec 2021
In reply to msjhes2:

And the series 5 guide is identical to the series 4 guide.

johncook 14 Dec 2021

Mentioned in the 1989 BMC Peak Climbs, page 173. Short entry stating short problems and scrambles. Not sure of attitude of owner. 

Andy2 14 Dec 2021

From the blue 1964 guidebook (1970 reprint)

"Gibraltar Rocks

These crags, nearly half-mile due south of Tor Quarry and marked prominently on the Ordnance Survey Map, offer nothing better than 15 feet scrambles and are not worth a climbing visit."

That's all it says!

OP thepodge 16 Dec 2021
In reply to thepodge:

Thanks everyone. 

By the old blue guide do you mean this one?

Post edited at 09:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...