First aid training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 24 Jun 2020

Based on the DD/mountain rescue vid

Can people recommend training for those of us who have no medical experience?

firstly maybe online tutorials etc, secondly maybe training providers. Thanks 

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

While training to be a Mountain Leader and working in the industry  I’ve attended 2-day outdoor first aid courses with these 2 providers and they’re both fantastic. Both provided really memorable and practical training which instilled confidence. It helps when the person delivering the training is a mountain rescue team member.

https://www.firstaidcumbria.co.uk/

http://www.snowdoniafirstaid.co.uk/

StuDoig 24 Jun 2020

It depends on where you are but BASP used to run good courses via Glenmore Lodge, who also have a huge range of courses.  Whilst only ever done the above I'm sure the rest would be as well delivered.  If your a mountaineering Scotland member they run an excellent 2 day subsidised course - so excellent value!

Glenmore lodge's YouTube channel has loads of great vids as well.

Cheers,

Stu

Frank R. 24 Jun 2020

A few random thoughts (with the caveat that it was outside UK):

1) I think it's better to start first with a good training provider (one that's up-to-date on current national and European laic resuscitation guidelines) and follow up on that with online info than the other way around. There is just too much potentially confusing or outdated information on the internet, and the training will help you differentiate. Of course, that does not apply to online info from trusted providers, like mentioned above.

2) Perhaps the best outdoor first aid training I remember was a several days long, very immersive one, with surprise simulations after any theory and again much longer ones later (I hated that random 2AM wake-up call), bivouacing outside in the winter (a safe location with facilities nearby, just plenty of cold and snow). I do believe any well-done training that takes you right to or slightly over the comfort limit is the most memorable...  

Of course, that might be out of scope of simpler first aid training for beginners, but still, the more immersive, the better.

3) Later, perhaps considering volunteering as a simulated casualty with your local MRT for their own training (if they need volunteers). It does help them and it might help the volunteer as well. And of course rehash your training every once and then.

Any pros, please correct me if I have it wrong

Post edited at 12:19
 Andy Hemsted 24 Jun 2020

I can recommend Cara Allison at A2E for Outdoor First Aid training in the Midlands; her courses are usually in Coalbrookdale, just south of Telford. She always has outdoor simulations, but not as extreme as the 2am night emergency!

tlouth7 24 Jun 2020

I have done several 2 day 1st aid courses in my role as a dinghy sailing instructor, typically through a sailing club (including Uni club). I would not be surprised if your local climbing club would be amenable to arranging one for its members. This has the advantage that the supplier can tailor things to your needs, for example a bigger focus on hypothermia or head injuries. On the last one I did we all went to the pub afterwards with the GP running it and practiced injecting ourselves with local anaesthetic, and doing suturing (not on people).

I have also done less formal "far from help" type courses; I would say these are only useful if you have a solid grounding in basic 1st aid.

Alternatively see if your employer will send you on a course.

Dave B 24 Jun 2020

Don't expect a first aid course at the moment... For obvious reasons. When they do start again, the prices may well rise from what they were paying to additional costs.

I'm looking at about £30-40 per person of additional costs for small courses. Larger providers may be able to reduce this by bulk purchase.

I am okish with the St John's videos online, though a few have older protocols that haven't been updated recently. However, theory training is nothing like hsnds-on simulation and that's not like the real world thing.

peppermill 24 Jun 2020

Second BASP weekend course, especially if a former plastic surgeon/Ski patroller called Jon Holmes is running it, fascinating guy and excellent teacher.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...