Finedon Slabs Appreciation Society

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wingnut 12 Oct 2005
Finedon Slabs. So esoteric, so underappreciated, so badly in need of a litter pick (!).
http://www.leicesterclimbs.f9.co.uk/FinedonI.htm
Come on - doesn't it sound like the best climbing in Northamptonshire?

In darkest wild Northamptonshire
There’s hidden, as they say
A charming little craglet
That’s out near Finedon way.
One weekend we went there
With ropes and nuts and crabs -
The finest crag in Northamptonshire,
The famous Finedon Slabs!

Mick soloed up a corner
But very near the top
The ravening vegetation
Caused his ascent to stop.
Eventually off he fell
As the brambles raked his arm
But he hit a rotting mattress
And bounced up without harm!

We tried to climb the parapet
But found with cursing fear
Its crumbling concrete holes
Would not take our gear.
But then we found salvation
A rusting metal bar
Wedged into the concrete
A runner without par!

I gibbered up Sun Slab
But just to hamper things
Right before the top
I went and dropped my slings.
But the belay was in-situ
Which did just fine for me –
A pair of dirty knickers
Wrapped around a tree!

So it’s litter-strewn and concrete
With rubbish all about
But the best crag in the county
Without any doubt.
Why drive to Stanage polish
Or North Wales in the clag?
Come and climb at Finedon –
It’s a very friendly crag!

(This thread would have been a premier post sponsored by the Finedon Appreciation Society, but despite having a collection box at the crag for several months we're collected a grand total of four bottle tops, two unidentified foreign coins and a used french letter. Please don't use the collection box for rubbish - you've got the whole of the rest of the crag for that.)

Apparently Finedon won't be/isn't in the new guide - wonder why? :
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:I appreciate it now that I live in Lancs!

Stu

Nice song.
 marie 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
> Apparently Finedon won't be/isn't in the new guide - wonder why? :

This is so it can be 're' discovered at some point in the future and described as a new crag...

:oS
 Duncan Bourne 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
A classic! I hope after this to see Finedon slabs featured in the re-issue of Extreme Rock.
OP Wingnut 12 Oct 2005
In reply to marie:
Possible. Worrying.
OP Wingnut 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
Sent you some pics . . . but only of the good bits, wouldn't want to give the place an unfairly bad reputation.
 Big Steve 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
> (In reply to Duncan Bourne)
> Sent you some pics . . . but only of the good bits, wouldn't want to give the place an unfairly bad reputation.

Good bits?
 marie 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut: The 'unfairly bad reputation' is accurate and not in the least unfair...

:oS
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Big Steve: The good bit is the Salidas?

Stu
 GrahamD 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

Without doubt, the most dismal place I've had the displeasure to try and climb - and I live in Cambridge and desperate for climbing venues within easy reach.

I can't believe you took the time to write that ditty, unless its some form of catharis ?
 Duncan Bourne 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
verily a quality place why it could almost be Great Slab at Froggett (if you suffered from Munchhausen syndrome, took an unfeasible large amount of dubious psychodelic drugs, combined them with alcohol and it was dark....and foggy)
 Marc C 12 Oct 2005
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Marc C: I double dare you to go and climb at F/Slabs in your undies!

Get pics if you do.

Stu
Hannah m 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
My God! I did not know there was ANY climbing in the whole county - I grew up in Northamptonshire and a lot of my relatives live there- not that I was interested in climbing much then (although I did consider joining Wellinborough Moutaineering Club in the 1970s).Really beautiful woodland countryside. But Northampton is, in so many ways, in the middle of the country without being anywhere - so normal it's abnormal.
H.
Hannah m 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Hannah m:
'Wellingborough' I mean.
 Marc C 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Oh, NEVER (never) dare me!
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Marc C: Go on, go on!

Stu
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Have a tetenus before you do!

Stu
 Marc C 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Tetanus jab? No way! I'm terrified of long pointed objects. I reckon you, me and Wingnut should perform a balletic pas de trois (in the nude) at Finedon and get ourselves in The Guardian's art pages
Matt Wilson 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:

> Apparently Finedon won't be/isn't in the new guide - wonder why? :

I f*cking know why, because it's impossible to find, that's why! The only bit i ever found that could even possibly be it is a slab of concrete covered in trees, ivy and bushes.

It's NOT a crag. It's not even a slab for the most part and it's certainly not in Finedon.

Give me Slawston Bridge any day. At least it's easy to find.
 Dave C 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: It's just near me and Sloper so I'll get the pics while Sloper coaxes Marc upwards with a long pointed stick!
Oh no, I cannot believe I am even consdering going near Finedon again! Went and had a look in 1990, laughed my a*se off then headed off to a nearby pub.
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Matt Wilson: Its a splendid slab of concrete, with a nice finger crack in it!

Stu

No, no I cant drive 150 miles to get to it!
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Now Slawston is another thing, great bouldering, pump up those arms.

Stu who used to live 5 miles from F/Slabs and only whent once.
 JDDD 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut: Hi Liz, Could you post some of the piccies on your gallery. I went there once, but am still not convinced I found it. Having said that, the description does kind of match.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
> Apparently Finedon won't be/isn't in the new guide - wonder why?

Presumably it's a selective/cherry-picking guide, and the definitive guide (if such a thing ever appears) will include it.
 Stu Tyrrell 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut: F/Slabs should never be in any guide book, pub the pics and save other peeps from ever going again. Buildering thats what it I would call it, with a 45 deg bank covered in concrete, with cracks in it, and some conctrete........

Stu
 JDDD 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: I don't think it is even worthy of being called buildering. The people who put up the original routes must have been real desperados in search of their name in print on guidebooks!
 Stu Tyrrell 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman: TRUE - real desperados - routes put up before the M1 was built, used as training area.

Could be turned into a outdoor climbing wall, with bolt on holds???

Stu
OP Wingnut 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Yes, will post pics . . . and you probably did find it but didn't recognise it on the ground.
 JDDD 13 Oct 2005
In reply to Wingnut: Oh - I am convinced I found it. I just want to see with my own eyes that someone elses experience was as bad as mine!
OP Wingnut 14 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Pics posted, but appear to have scared the moderator into running away! :

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...