Fairy Cave Quarry Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark c 15 Nov 2022

Contractors working for Hobbs Properties, the owners of Fairy Cave Quarry, have complained that climbers have been climbing over the fences around the Quarry. It is important that we only use the main entrance gate to gain access to the quarry. It's also important that we don't climb over the Quarry Rim Fence, either to gain access or to avoid walking along the narrow path along the top of the routes. In other words - don't climb over the fence to get out of the top of the quarry, and then over it again to get back in at one of the abseil descents. It is very important that we keep to our side of the agreement if we don't want to put our access into jeopardy.

As ever, the code for the combination lock can be found on the BMC RAD.

beardy mike 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark c:

I notices that a hole was cut in the gate, obviously done with wire cutters. Don't know if it was climbers. But regularly see that the barbed wire has been removed from the top of the gate. I suppose maybe part of the problem is lack of mobile internet signal just there. If you walk along the northern side of the perimeter fence go gain height, you do get signal so if you haven't got the code...

Or would an answer phone message be an option? Ring the number and get the code? You get mobile signal, just not Internet so you can't visit the RAD easily...

Dave Garnett 15 Nov 2022
In reply to beardy mike:

> Or would an answer phone message be an option? Ring the number and get the code? You get mobile signal, just not Internet so you can't visit the RAD easily...

Or you could just check you have the code before you set off for the crag... 

deepsoup 15 Nov 2022
In reply to beardy mike:

> I suppose maybe part of the problem is lack of mobile internet signal just there.

Climbers who'd forgotten to look up the code in advance of their visit, but who didn't care about damaging the gate and just happened to be carrying some beefy wire cutters?  Seems a bit unlikely somehow.

In reply to beardy mike:

I just wrote it in the front of my guidebook rather than try to remember to check it every visit (obviously with the odd check that it hasn't been updated, but that isn't common and I usually saw a message about it on here if it had been)

beardy mike 15 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Well indeed. Wasn't really suggesting it was climbers, just had noticed it had happened.

Steve Woollard 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark c:

Thanks for posting

Post edited at 17:44
 bpmclimb 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark c:

saw that hole in the wire recently and remember thinking it was quite a neat job. Locals, I reckon - well equipped with tools and used to using FCQ over the years for this and that. Could be climbers, but I doubt it  

petegunn 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Mark c:

Last time we visited the local youths/adults were still riding their motocross bikes in there. They had cut the fence just up the road a little from the small parking bay. One big white van and a smaller one so probably not climbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...