EBs ... question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 06 Jan 2020

I bought a pair in 1980 from Nevissport in Glasgow, they have'nt been used much but the eyelets are starting to rust and the canvas is rotting. Am I entitled to return them and get my money back?

David55 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

Back in the  early  80s I  found that I  wore out a pair of  EBs  about every 6 weeks.

You haven't  used them enough. No return or refund,  it's  your own fault.

Michael Hood 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

Have you got the receipt?

If not, they may not accept that you bought them from there 😁

alx 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

Sound like you got a fake pair. True EB’s each contain an original pubic hair from Pierre Alain and would have had cigarette smoke blown onto them by Edmond Bourdonneau during the manufacturer’s process thus making them immune to usual corrosion and rot.

Lankyman 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

>entitled to return them and get my money back?

No. You have to wear them on the 'wrong feet' for a few more years and wear the outside edges off first. It worked fine for me although my toenails all fell out.

Tom Valentine 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

On a properly panned in pair you can tell the colour of the wearer's socks by looking at the toes.

OP JimR 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Socks! Socks!! Socks!!!   I could'nt get my feet in mine without trimming my nails and sanding my callouses befor hobbling to the start of the route!

Lankyman 06 Jan 2020

> On a properly panned in pair you can tell the colour of the wearer's socks by looking at the toes.

No need for me. Mine were always on show red and baggy for that essential early 'Big Ron' look. Later, as styles progressed I moved on to Troll trousers. Something died for me when socks went out of fashion.

Rigid Raider 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

As a student I once wore EBs around the campus for a month as I didn't really have anything else and I thought they were a bit different. But after I while I realised they were too tight and sweaty for daily wear. I've still got my EBs and an old pair of PAs, which are red and black.

cragtyke 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> No. You have to wear them on the 'wrong feet' for a few more years and wear the outside edges off first. It worked fine for me although my toenails all fell out.

Did that with my first pair of Firés, toenails survived though, presumably due to the softer rubber.

Lankyman 06 Jan 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

> Did that with my first pair of Firés

Ah Feerays ..... When they arrived I could walk up walls with my hands behind my back. Or so we thought ....

Tom Valentine 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I once saw a sidecar rider in a race at Cadwell wearing EBs. I wondered if they offered some sort of braking assistance.

Michael Hood 06 Jan 2020

I wonder which rock boots Robin Williams used to wear (they weren't EBs) as Mork in Mork & Mindy.

robate 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

At a certain point I realized that unless you are using holds so small that they require a working knowledge of quantum mechanics then socks are fine in climbing shoes, but I also realized that it's like wearing socks with sandals...

profitofdoom 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

> ....Am I entitled to return them and get my money back?

Yes, as long as you get there by 5 PM tomorrow (read the small print)

pneame 06 Jan 2020
In reply to robate:

> but I also realized that it's like wearing socks with sandals...

What's wrong with that? !!

Darron 06 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

I believe Mountain Warehouse might give you a credit note for them.

aostaman 07 Jan 2020
In reply to JimR:

I've got a perfect unused pair, white laces, edges the lot, size 8 in the loft.

Bought at Tankies (I think). They could probably re-sell them. Anyone got a phone number for 1981.

Siward 07 Jan 2020
In reply to pneame:

Why, nothing at all. Long socks best though

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socks_and_sandals

Tom Valentine 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Siward:

Skin on rubber/plastic feels claggy to me so any sort of layer preventing that interface is a boon.

Martin Bennett 07 Jan 2020
In reply to aostaman:

> I've got a perfect unused pair, white laces, edges the lot, size 8 in the loft.

Me too - the size 6s I got for my wife about a nano-second before she gave up climbing mid 80s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...