DWS access rope anchor for Spittle 'n' Spume, Cave Hole, Portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Frisby 15 Jul 2021

Hi, 

Does anyone know what gear is required to set up an anchor for a knotted rope to access the ledge at the start of Spittle 'n' Spume (E1 5c) and the surrounding climbs? Last time we were there people had one to help get to and from the ledge which looked like a good idea as it's quite a long swim round from anywhere else. Jut wondering if i need to bring any nuts or can you just use slings on threads/ iron work/bolts?

Thanks, George.

Michael Porter 15 Jul 2021
In reply to George Frisby:

Hi George,

There is single staple bolt quite close to the edge, to the right (looking out) of the finish of Spittle n Spume.  Lands you on the non tidal ledges by the start of the route.  Enjoy!

Michael

OP George Frisby 15 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Porter:

Brilliant, thanks Micheal!

AJM 15 Jul 2021

I think about 15m of rope, depending how many knots/loops you want, is the right sort of ballpark.

In reply to AJM:

cheers, i've got an old thick 20m rope so hopefully that should do it.

G

AJM 15 Jul 2021

The knots and loops will always end up further apart than you expect as they tighten under load, so knot a bit more densely than you think is sensible and you'll thank yourself when you are hauling up them soaking wet and pumped silly after a fall.....

In reply to AJM:

Great tip, thanks for that! Will make them nice and chunky and close together for sure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...