Dennis English

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Bennett 04 Jul 2022

Not sure this is the correct forum., however, Dennis English for those who have heard of him, sadly passed away recently at the grand age of 92.

He was a very active climber from the 1950`s on ,a member of the FRCC and ran a climbing shop in Carlisle for many years. 

Although I knew of him by reputation, it was only in 2009 when I met him following a move to Carlisle.  There are others who will know more of his exploits, but he remained an active climber well into his 80`s.

His funeral is on Wednesday 6th of July at the Carlisle crematorium at 1420.

mrjonathanr 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Bob Bennett:

>  There are others who will know more of his exploits, but he remained an active climber well into his 80`s.

I didn’t know him, but you have to admire a career like that.

In reply to Bob Bennett:

Dennis was a well-loved gentleman, top climber of his day who attempted the Eigerwand with Geoff Oliver, mentioned in Haston's book. A formidable crowd gave him a great send off in Carlisle yesterday, with tributes from climbing friends. Dennis sold many a local climber their first pair of EBs, and many will have shared a rope with him. 92 years, RIP Dennis.
DC

In reply to Dave Cumberland:

A real measure of the man. Packed funeral services are usually for those who die before their time. The crowd that gathered yesterday was testament to Dennis' nature.

At 88, Dennis was still climbing and partying on Kalymnos with us. Oh for genes like those. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...