Deep Rake Traffic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dominic lee 22 Jun 2020

I’ve recently heard that some of the residents in Rowland have voiced complaint about the increased traffic passing through their hamlet en route to Longstone Edge.

climbers were mentioned but not only. 4x4 groups, trail riders and walkers were also included.

However we as a group will be contributing to the increased numbers and need to be aware of this and if possible reduce our impact.

If you’re planning a trip to Deep Rake please take extra care and consideration whilst driving through Rowland and on up the lane and adhere to their 20 mph speed limit.

cheers. Dom.

Toccata 22 Jun 2020
In reply to dominic lee:

I would suggest this applies to the whole of the UK. Our village (White Peak) has had the busiest weekends I’ve ever seen in the last 3 weeks. I’m sure there are many reasons. While some of us are happy to see people out, others feel threatened and we should respect their anxieties.

Martin Wood 22 Jun 2020
In reply to Toccata:

I quite agree. Out on my bike the last 3-4 weeks the whole Peak seems to have given rise to serious difficulties. On the one hand it is a busy Park and is there to be widely enjoyed. On the other hand, I do wonder if people could do more to avoid the excessive concentration of visitors, and more particularly their cars. And don't get me started on the serious litter menace of certain ignorant folk in the area! 

I made the mistake of including a Winnats - Mam Nick loop in my ride last Saturday. The corner at Barber Booth was parked up with such exceptional density that it resembled a Tour of Britain stage. It was the same at Stanage (Popular and Long Causeway) the weekend before. 

Why do the honeypots and usual attractions seem much busier recently? My conclusion is that, in an effort to preserve social distancing, many visitors are not sharing a car to travel. Fair enough. But neither are they (we) altering their (our) behaviour - as I said, I could most easily have avoided Edale on a Saturday.  I think we might all try to sprinkle ourselves more widely about the region at the moment. 

Misha 23 Jun 2020
In reply to Martin Wood:

Not car sharing, Wales being closed and day trips only ruling out trips to further away areas. The law of unintended consequences. 

TobyA 23 Jun 2020
In reply to Misha:

> Not car sharing

Yes, that has to account for all the cars parked from Stoney up to well past Horseshoe. If you follow the rules to the letter you have to go separately in cars when before you might have met somewhere and gone on in one. I went to Horseshoe a couple of weekends ago - it was busy but not that busy but there were A LOT of cars parked down along the dale.

Toerag 23 Jun 2020
In reply to Martin Wood:

> Why do the honeypots and usual attractions seem much busier recently?

Because no-one is going on foreign holidays or even travelling far within the country.  Places like theme parks are shut too.  All those people have been displaced to the next most touristy thing - outdoor honeypot sites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...