Death By Tik Tok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Ebbutt 23 Sep 2021

Daddyhole Upper CliffWARNING

Climbing at Daddyhole Upper, in the Ravine last night had a close call with a “Letting Go” plate thrown from the top of the crag and landing close to where I was belaying. Initially assumed it was drunken “yoofs” lobbing bottles but recovered the remains of a 12 inch dinner plate covered in sharpie ramblings of an angst ridden teenager? On discussion with my kids, discovered this is a current Tik Tok craze for smashing plates to “ Let Go” your troubles and worries.

Clearly this fad could have serious consequences for people climbing, particularly in more urban settings.

See my photo album for plate remains.

Stay safe out there

Chris

Steve Claw 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Chris Ebbutt:

Seen the remains of a few in Avon Gorge, littering seems to be a "thing" at the moment.

Ben Farley 23 Sep 2021

Likewise, come across this at Pex Hill.

gravy 23 Sep 2021
In reply to Ben Farley:

Likewise at the roaches but I think it was a leting go teapot

althesin 23 Sep 2021
In reply to gravy:

One of the few instances when a chocolate one would be more useful.

In reply to gravy:

Interesting to hear. We had rocks dropped on us at the Roaches some years ago......

Lankyman 24 Sep 2021

It's a long-standing thing. The Romans put messages on lead sheets and rolled them up before dropping them in the spring of the local god. Cursing the b@stard who stole your shoes at the baths was popular.

Sean Kelly 24 Sep 2021

Well Chris, I wouldn't have like to have been belaying there when that wheelie bin was lobbed off from the car-park!

Post edited at 13:22
 nikoid 24 Sep 2021

Can't they use paper plates?

OP Chris Ebbutt 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hi Sean

Its the king size mattress  couple of years back I was pleased not to be under most, it was tightly rolled and stained dirty red and took out a small tree with its weight which I initially feared contained a body, but thankfully just my vivid imagination.

cheers Chris

In reply to nikoid:

Watching a bit of Tik Tok, it appears the idea is that the smashing of the plate is intrinsic to the “ Letting  Go” experience. It would appear to have evolved from people smashing them on paths in their own garden to lobbing them off ever more dramatic locations for maximum Video (likes?) effect.

stay safe

Chris

Out of interest do the technical experts on here think a helmet would save you from a 12 inch dinner plate falling 30 m? Just glad it missed me.

Chris

Letting go has been all the rage on Portland and various quarries for years. It is so advance they use white goods, dead dogs and shopping trolleys.

I've got a fridge freezer full of problems baby. 

gravy 24 Sep 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Unfortunately I read that as "I've got a fridge full of problem babies" which I found quite disturbing!

Toerag 24 Sep 2021

The Venture Scout unit I joined had been previously shut down due to the members frisbeeing plates into the adjacent gasworks during a drunken party :-O

iainJ 24 Sep 2021

The vertical energy absorption section of the British Standard for climbing helmets requires the force transmitted to a 'headform' following an impact force, caused by a 5 kg weight being dropped 2 m vertically onto a helmet, to be measured and be below a threshold value. 

Say the plate weighs 200 g, to make the same impact force as 5 kg being dropped 2 m the 0.2 kg plate would need to be dropped 50 m.

This is simplistic and ignores quite a few factors but gives a rough ballpark. 

Post edited at 17:08
 gethin_allen 25 Sep 2021

That explains why we saw 2 plates with random crap scrawled on them at the foot of rock valley Ilkley a few weeks ago.

JimR 25 Sep 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Fling it back at them , that’ll screw ‘em up!

OP Chris Ebbutt 25 Sep 2021
In reply to JimR:

When it landed near me I did shout rather loudly amongst other things that “I will find you and I will……” Probably didn’t help their angst, but as I felt they were trying to kill me, seemed fair. 

stay safe 

Chris

Lankyman 25 Sep 2021

Can't you find the missing pieces of the plate? It's hard to make out fully what this tortured soul is going through. I feel that Oscar has a few things to answer for and I'm not too sure about Lewis? In two thousand years time this will be vital evidence of how our civilization communicated with its gods.

wintertree 27 Sep 2021

I read your thread title and immediately had a mental image of a crap 21st century remake of “The Lost Boys”.

Glad you didn’t die at the mercy of social media idiots. FFS.  Perhaps I’ll start a trend where people video themselves throwing a load of money in to a certain disused Teesdale mineshaft to bring them good luck...  Now, where’s my bucket?

Post edited at 23:43
 BrendanO 02 Oct 2021

We had raw meat thrown at us at Rosyth last year…

gravy 02 Oct 2021
In reply to BrendanO:

Was it raw meat with a load of moaning and grumbling penned all over it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...