Dave Wearing RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 20 Feb 2021

Dave died suddenly a few days back; no further details at this time. 

Dave (who has/had a page on UKC) would not have objected were the epithet "old school" to be applied to him. Climbing tradition was all-important to this genial and self-deprecating man of the hills, who pretended a bumbling image which did not at all reflect his competence. If you have a copy of the Fell & Rock Lakes selected guide of 2003 you may have seen a picture of him climbing on Gimmer in leather walking boots with a woolly balaclava hat, breeches and knee length socks and 3 or 4 pieces of outdated gear on his harness. He will not perhaps be widely known, if at all, outside his beloved South Lakes area, but in the Lancs Climbing & Caving Club  of which he was a member for some years he will be long remembered, especially by some whose first climbing experience was under his guidance. 

Farewell old friend.

Escher 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What sad news.

I moved to Lancaster from Kent in 2005 and I responded to a post Dave made on here looking for partners and had a great time climbing some classics with him and going for some walks and scrambles when it was wet. He was great company and we always had a grand day out. 

RIP Dave, thanks for the fond memories. 

tintinandpip 20 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have worked for almost 20 years with Dave at Ulverston Victoria High School where he was the technician in the technology department for over 30 years. 
Dave was a qualified teacher but felt happier leaving the teaching to his colleagues. He was liked by all the pupils and particularly the sixth formers who enjoyed his humour.  He contributed to wider school life with his work in music, drama productions and D of E expeditions. 
As well as his climbing he was a talented musican playing in a number of local bands on various instruments. 
He was a true authority on the history of mountaineering and Lakeland rock. As said above “old school” is a term of affection and not an insult he refused to use friends ( too modern ) nor would he ever dream of going to a climbing wall preferring a wet walk or bike ride. 
A real gentlemen who will be missed greatly by his colleagues and friends. 
Sad news. 

Timmd 20 Feb 2021
In reply to tintinandpip: I'm sorry for your loss. 

OP Rog Wilko 21 Feb 2021
In reply to tintinandpip:

Thanks for your post. Dave had a wide range of talents outside of walking and climbing. Be lucky to see his like again; they broke the mould.

philmorris 21 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I climbed with Dave throughout the 70's, when he lived in Shropshire. He was a safe and competent climber and great fun to be with. There are many tales I could tell - the night he entertained a pub full of people in Harlech playing his guitar and singing or learning the mandolin on the way to Cornwall. The climbing too - a scary ascent of Big Plum in the rain on the original rotting, coach screws or the mass ascent of Belle Vue Bastion on Tryfan.....

He will live on in my memory and of anyone else who knew him. A really nice fellow...

J1234 21 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I first met Dave via UKC in the Wasdale Head Inn on the 14th April 2007 . He asked  where should we go on the morrow. I said I had heard of something called Pillar Rock, Daves eyes lit up, the two other UKCers present went green, we did not see them again. We walked to Pillar and talked all the way. As I tied on Dave raised his eye brows, he had amazing eye brows, "what" says I. He said I had left a long tale and I should re-tie, as I may need that rope to get to a stance. We had an amazing day.
On another occasion I was leading Hopkinsons Gully on Scafell, IIRC, which is slightly bold, but not with a No3 Camalot, there is a perfect Letter Box slot, when Dave removed the Cam he looked at it with disgust.
I could tell so many tales.

I am so sad, we could have had so many more adventures,  but  and now he has gone, far far too soon.

RIP Dave, my mentor, climbing partner and friend.

Post edited at 20:21
 Gav Parker 21 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Little did I know when I picked Dave up in Ulverston at the end of December it would be our last day on the fells together...as usual we had a great day out with the bonus of blue skies and snow on the ground....

I first met Dave back in March 2009 through UKC. We had lots of fantastic days out on the fells Walking, Scrambling or Climbing always taking in a summit and hopefully a cafe at the end of the day for a brew and slice of cake...

Dave was a top bloke....

RIP my mate and thanks for lots of fantastic memories....

Gav

In reply to Rog Wilko:

I just heard this morning, it stopped me in my tracks. Very sad news, Dave always had time for a chat, and was keen to hear about the latest news, even though it was outside his style of climbing. Yes, a very traditional mountaineering character, he was always Mr. dependable. Sadly missed.

trish1968 22 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

This was a huge shock. I had many enjoyable days out with Dave. He was a true mountain man enjoying long mountain days out rather than just cragging. I met Dave here on ukc he was true gent.

I remember once climbing with him we jumped out of the car raring to go when i suddenly realised I'd forgotten my harness. He said no problem use mine and I'll tie into the rope. All day he was beaming from ear to ear enjoying climbing old style. I rarely saw him in rock shoes he prefered boots it was amazing what he climbed!! He was a proper mountain man. He will be missed.

R.I.P Dave thanks for all the adventures xx

JamieH 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for posting this sad news Rog. It was my privilege to spend a couple of weeks in the Alps with Dave, almost 20 years ago, when I was an aspirant mountain guide. His passion for the mountains, understated experience and competence, and his contribution to the social cohesion of the group were everything his friends would recognise of this gentle mountain man. 

Led by BMG Graham McMahon our Jagged Globe group traversed the summer Haute Route, from Chamonix to Zermatt. We climbed the Pigne d’Arolla 3796m from the Vignettes and had a day marooned in the Cabane de Bertol, by bad weather. Dave kept us entertained, with a guitar plucked off the wall. We were rewarded the following day with a blue sky, descending the Schonbiel glacier below the mighty Matterhorn. 

On returning to Chamonix our Mont Blanc intentions were thwarted by the weather. The sunny side alternative of the Gran Paradiso 4061m, on a rope shared with Dave, was as fine a mountain day as we could wish for. 

Jamie

robate 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Dave started me climbing in the 70s, wonderful days for my pals and me, great generosity, instruction and kindness from him. Changed my life, very sad news today..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...