Current Condition in the Grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 14 Dec 2022

Hi all,

Does anyone know if current conditions allow for bouldering on the grit at the moment?  Either Peak, Yorkshire or Lancashire areas.

I went somewhere to Blackstone Edge on Sunday to find everything covered in melted on snow and ice.  Not the sort of powdery snow that brushed off.  So would be keen to avoid that.

Thanks in advance.

abr1966 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

I'm near Windgather.....I wouldn't bother at the moment....iced up and very cold!

Droyd 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/conditions/my_conditions/?days=1&cou...

This pulls together every boulder that's been logged in the Peak for today and yesterday, so is pretty useful. If you go to 'Filter' you can change the region to e.g. Yorkshire & Lincolnshire for Yorkshire grit, as well as looking at other disciplines and further back.

This thread may also be of interest: https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16522.0.html

OP afx22 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Droyd:

That's incredibly useful.  Thanks.

Offwidth 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

Take care, as sometimes people are logging ascents on damp rock (a bad idea for grit and an even worse for other sandstones). The UKB threads are the most reliable.

Post edited at 13:23
OP afx22 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

Agreed and understood.  Unfortunately the UKB thread is a few days out of date and I’m hoping to get out tomorrow.

LakesWinter 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

There's some info on the Eastern Peak thread right nowe

Given the snow hasn't cleared from the gardens and trees yet where I am in Sheffield and my car park is still black ice, I would say not in.

Paul Sagar 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Droyd:

So helpful! Indeed, that has confirmed for me that it will be worth going to Curbar this weekend on the way to my parents’ house. Cheers!

Graeme Hammond 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

There was alot less snow in Yorkshire so it might be worth considering there. I climbed at the high moorland but south facing  Healaugh (Crag Willas) on Saturday which was snow free and warm in the sun. I believe there was good conditions at places like  Almscliff on Sunday. For the peak look for problems that don't top out or crags less affected by the snow. 

Post edited at 17:38
 Hugo First 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

We’ve had zero snow in and around Otley. It’s very cold and dry with little ice on roads etc.

Almscliffe has been basking in sunshine all day today and forecast the same tomorrow.

deepsoup 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

Perhaps a little bit unusually, a fair bit of the Peak seems to be rather less snowy than Sheffield at the mo.  I've been out for a little wander around Lathkill & Bradford dales this afternoon, and based on what I saw out there I'd be quite surprised if Cratcliffe & Robin Hood's Stride wasn't fine. 
(I passed right by Rheinstor and that seemed to be bone dry.)

mrphilipoldham 14 Dec 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Yes I drove over to York at weekend north of Leeds looked to be largely snow free. The further west from there the more the snow. 

toad 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

Awful black ice round Burbage / Stanage/ Higgar Tor 

OP afx22 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

Thanks everyone.  That’s really helpful.  Plenty for me to go at.

Andy Hardy 14 Dec 2022
In reply to afx22:

First hand reports are that Cratcliffe was A1 today, dry and sunny. Good friction and sheltered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...