Crags for kids, other than the usual

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 25 Jun 2020

Bottom half of the Peak. Apart from Harborough and Windgather is there anywhere else good for toproping with 7 year old. He's craving some real rock after 3 months of no climbing club. Ideally quiet, VDiffs, easy access for TR.

I don't have definitive guides for below Baslow area, and OPR only has a small section on this. Limestone or Grit, not bothered.

spenser 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Philip:

Alpha buttress at the Roaches was my planned venue for this evening and looked promising in this respect. 

tehmarks 25 Jun 2020
In reply to spenser:

There are a few bits of the Skyline that I think would tick the boxes. It's a great place to while away some time away from the maddening crowds.

Castle Naze is in the same neck of the woods as Windgather, and has a reasonable few routes that you could chuck a rope down. Belays can be awkward, but certainly not impossible.

spenser 26 Jun 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

I wasn't particularly looking for kiddy friendly but it's useful to know as one of my climbing partners has a young daughter who I'm not entirely has forgiven me for belaying her on a S 4b at Harborough (I did tell my friend the grade before her daughter tied in I will add!).

Andy Hardy 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Philip:

Back Tor

Brassington (jungle adventure!)

OP Philip 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Thanks. To be clear they don't have to be in the guides I've got, I put that more to indicate where I hadn't looked.

Prof. Outdoors 26 Jun 2020
In reply to spenser:

Harborough

That Severe 4b wasn't "The Arete Direct Start" was it?

Just found that very hard or maybe I was having a bad day.

spenser 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

I think it was Little Crack, the poor lass was only 5 at the time so it was a long way between the holds for her!

Offwidth 26 Jun 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Castle Naze isn't good... it's a bit physical and reachy and has too much loose stuff on the top in places. Stanage has loads of good stuff in the shorter sections away from the crowds. Wharncliffe is great, lots of caving through routes to explore and some classy easier climbs, especially Black Slab.

tehmarks 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I figured the routes at the near end of the crag would be appropriate - amenable grades, pleasant routes and nothing loose at the top to my recollection. The only issue is that arranging belays is a bit faffy.

Prof. Outdoors 26 Jun 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Roaches Skyline

Great place to get away from people.

Wandered across there today. Alpha Buttress was OK but the cracks all have grass in them. Skyline Buttress was OK but sad to see foilage in Mantelshelf Slab and Karabiner Slab. All climbable but would benefit from gardening. Recognise those grades are not what you are looking for but all the diffs and Vdiffs were all showing signs of neglect and would benefit from cleaning and traffic. Path along the bottom was hard work and much better to go along the top and down.

Generally I think the Roaches has declined in popularity for trad but has become a boulderers paradise. (Lots of groups meet up to drink judging by the cans in the Spring Boulders area)

Post edited at 19:26
OP Philip 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Problem with the roaches is it's a major venue for walker, especially now part of SWT. I'm looking for quiet, I'll probably do Harborough as it's only 30 minutes. I was hoping there were some other little outcrops, like Rainster, worth it.

In reply to Philip:

Tryfan 

Billhook 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

Given your total lack of experience & knowledge you are not qualified or experienced enough to answer these sort of questions.     

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...