/ Costa Blanca snakes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Carol B 18:22 Fri

Can anyone identify snakes? At Alcalali today we saw a pair of jet black shiny snakes approx 2 metres long. They were 20 metres up the crag on a route. They were probably the best climbers at Alcalali today. There were also more snakes on other routes up the crag. Now before you hit back saying - pull yourself together  you wuss - I must say in my defence that a group of fit men half my age nearly cracked themselves. My boyfriend wants me to make it clear he didn’t crack himself. So can anyone identify the snakes as Google has not helped.

Mark Eddy 18:42 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

Possibly Ladder snakes.

There does seem to be rather a lot of snakes in CB this autumn, had close encounters with half a dozen in the last week! 

Giles Davis 18:53 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

Pretty sure they would not be Ladder Snakes. If they were definitely 2-metres then they would be Montpellier Snakes. 

IPPurewater 19:03 Fri
nikoid 19:37 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

Isn't it more usual to cack yourself?

David Riley 19:43 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

I was confronted by a very large Montpellier (I think) at Toix,  doing its best cobra impression.  But seemed more curious than aggressive.  It was olive, certainly not jet black.

Pyreneenemec 20:11 Fri
In reply to David Riley:

We've got loads of them around the house; totally harmless ! 

Got to be careful though, last year I came across a viper about a metre off the ground in some brambles. I was picking blackberries ! 

Climbpsyched 21:49 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

I was on a climb at Alcalali with a group a few years back and shat myself when I realised there was a snake in the crack I was using. It was squashing a gecko which was impressive and I got out of there sharpish. 

Bob Moulton 22:32 Fri
In reply to Carol B:

On the first of quite a number of trips to Spain, in the 1994, a snake popped it’s head out of a crack I was about to put my hand in on Via UPSA in the Muscaret Gorge. I’m not sure which of us was more shocked! It shot back into the crack and once I’d recovered I found of way to get past the crack without using it. No idea what sort of snake it was but it was quite small. 

In reply to Carol B:

I was nearly hit by a 2 metre snake at Toix about 3 years ago. It fell off the crag and narrowly missed me - not seen any at Alcalali though. No idea what it was......

Andy Gamisou 19:27 Sat
In reply to Carol B:

Sounds like some sort of whip snake to me (a constrictor, harmless).  If it was really black, then don't think it would be a Montpellier.  I see them regularly where I live (Montpellier and whip snakes) along with a fairly venomous variety of viper.  If it was a Montpellier then it would still be fairly harmless as, whilst venomous, it's fangs are positioned well back in it's mouth making it difficult to inject the venom, and the venom isn't supposed to be very toxic to humans anyway.

Dave Garnett 10:21 Sun
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

It’s the short fat snakes you need to be careful about (at least in Europe). They are also more likely to sit tight rather than disappearing faster than you can catch them.

Even then the risk is tiny unless you step on one or pick one up.

Carol B 06:25 Mon
In reply to Carol B:

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I have come to the conclusion they are Black Whip Snakes.

Dogwatch 11:41 Mon

Snake! Snake! Oh it's a snake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Dell 11:25 Tue
In reply to Dogwatch:

Do they have badgers in Spain?  

Or did Franco have them all shot?

Dogwatch 12:20 Tue

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.