Coronavirus - Possible Risk Reduction Tip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 16 Mar 2020

I'm not sure how effective this is but;

Yesterday, while bouldering indoors, I covered my hands, fully in liquid chalk.  Front AND back, to my wrists.  The idea was to remind me not to touch my face. 

I think that being able to see my hand, all white, worked as a flag to make me pause before touching my face.  I seemed to work well for me.  Maybe it'll work well for you too.

Baron Weasel 16 Mar 2020
In reply to afx22:

Alcohol based too, it probably works as sanitiser. 

Baz P 16 Mar 2020
In reply to afx22:

But you may have spread the virus from route to route on the holds. 

OP afx22 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Baz P:

Possibly, but the same is true of anyone doing anything where they may interact with others - any climbing centres, gyms, coffee shops, using a supermarket shopping trolley, opening a door at work and so on.  Anyone not self-isolating already is risking unknowingly infecting others.

OP afx22 16 Mar 2020
In reply to Baz P:

I forgot to add - one of the symptoms is elevated heart rate.  Mine is low, as normal.   I wear a Garmin all of the time and always track my resting heart rate.

I know that’s not 100% but it’s an indicator to me.

In reply to afx22:

And this is how it spreads.

An extra-high hand contact activity, saying it is no worse than other activities and relying on a heartrate monitor.

Frankly, we're f*cked.

Post edited at 23:26
pasbury 16 Mar 2020
In reply to afx22:

I’ll do that next time I’m in Asda.

OP afx22 17 Mar 2020
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

While this is a fair point, I'm now working from home, I am avoiding groups of people and do not intend to go climbing indoors anytime soon. 

There's always a point when it switches from OK to NOT OK.  How would someone define exactly when that change is (other than direction from above)?

Last week was last week, when there was no advice from the government to restrict anything. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...