Condition of Harpur Hill quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex_frost33 12 Sep 2020

Harpur Hill Quarry Harpur Hill QuarryHi. Can anyone advise about the condition of harpur hill quarry? 

Reading the forums, comments and BMC RAD there seems to have been lots of litter and slurry to deter visitors  

is this still the case? I’ve not been to Harpur Hill but the comments are putting me off visiting at the moment. 

thoughts?

thanks!

Post edited at 19:15
 stp 12 Sep 2020
In reply to alex_frost33:

Had a couple of visits a few weeks ago and didn't notice any problems. There are many different sectors there though so it might depend which one you visit.

Don't be deterred. For lower grade sport routes it's really good with excellent rock on the best bits.

ALF_BELF 12 Sep 2020

Was up there a couple of weeks back, nothing to put you off the climbing, a couple of people on dirt bikes that was a bit annoying but it's all good. 

Same here. Was there a couple of weeks ago around the Cairn / Sanctuary area & all seemed normal. 

I think the bikers are in-situ

OP alex_frost33 14 Sep 2020

Thanks for the info. 

Report from Harpur Hill 13.Sep.2020, Lower tier, cairn sector, sanctuary, the retreat & playground areas were all free of rubbish. I didn’t wander around the rest so can’t comment. 

John Gresty 14 Sep 2020

John Shirt Motorcycles, for many years the main British importers of Gas Gas off road motorbikes are based in Harpur Hill, so no surprise that off road bikes are often seen in the quarry, probably have more legitimate right to be there than climbers. 

I'll declare an interest here, as well as being a climber I was also a trials bike competitor for a few years, competed against the Gas Gas lads many times in the Peak district, although not up to their standard they were always a pleasant crew.  

John Gresty

Chris Murray 14 Sep 2020
In reply to John Gresty:

I knew John Shirt Junior as I shared a flat in Sheffield with his then GF. Really nice bloke.

I rented another flat off his Dad in Buxton for a while.

Not sure if they're still trading.

Gary Gibson 15 Sep 2020

It’s absolutely fine. The pig slurry is by the ‘blue (muddy brown) lagoon and has completely dried up and offers no offensive smell and there is very little litter but please ensure you don’t climb over any of the fences as the farmer will be none. Best to approach from the industrial estate. Park just past the Racetrack and walk in along the fence and then up into the Quarry...might see you there?

Mike Stretford 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> Park just past the Racetrack and walk in along the fence and then up into the Quarry...might see you there?

Hi Gary, are there parking places now were you don't get fined? There were repeorted problems of fines up by the racetrack, and angry locals if you parked in the village, so the Hillhead lane approach was suggested. Totally agree we don't want to annoy the farmer!

Gary Gibson 15 Sep 2020
In reply to stp:

Glad you enjoyed them and I have managed to reboot nearly all of them and added new couple karabiners lower offs.

Gary Gibson 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Park at the top of Hillhead Lane by Lomas Distributions and walk along the bridle track, through three games and then turn left into the Quarry but do not climb over the farmers fences, better t keep going until you can just walk into the Quarry almost at the end of the bridle track.

,s fences

Gary Gibson 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Reboot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...