Climbing vids for kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 14 Nov 2022

I've been taking a wee group of pupils from my school to our local wall. Next week is our last session but I'd like to do a follow up in class where we can watch some climbing films to give them an idea of what climbing has to offer.

I'm clueless on this as I don't really watch such things. Can anyone suggest some viewing suitable for 13/14 year olds just dipping a toe in the water of climbing?

I suppose I'm looking for stuff that won't require too much knowledge, isn't too long (5-15mins) and that shows people having fun doing different types of climbing.

Cheers.

Gwain 15 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi, take a look at the Wideboyz channel.on you tube. Especially some of the parkour vids with Toby Segar. Always entertaining and many are about 15 mins long. 

Cheers, Gwain.  

laughitup 15 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

What about Seafever? It's short and snappy at 210 minutes and I think hearing Steve Findlay and Pat Littlejohn lament about the clean-hand gang will really appeal to that age group especially if they are new to the sport 

Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Hard Grit?

petegunn 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Just the first 30secs should get their attention! Classic

heleno 16 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

How about some videos featuring Ashima Shiraishi?

You could pick out films of her climbing when she was a similar age to the kids in your class, which would also help break any preconceptions that climbing is only for white males.

She's featured in one of the the Reel Rock films (11 according to Wikipedia) but it might just be easier to build up a playlist from many of the shorter videos about her available on YouTube. 

yodadave 16 Nov 2022
In reply to heleno:

just who I was going to mention! very inspirational stuff!

also a bit older but para climber Ronnie Dickson had some inspirational stuff

LastBoyScout 16 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Catherine Destivelle climbing in Africa (or wherever it was) - bit old, but different perspective on things: youtube.com/watch?v=N70DLM8Az_8&

matt1984 16 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Some of Magnus Midtbo's would probably fit the bill, so would be worth a look.

OP DaveHK 17 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Holdtickler 17 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Here's one that I think will be super inspiring for kids:

youtube.com/watch?v=5P5akoQ_eNI&

I found this trying to find another one from a few years ago where she reflected on her climbing growing up but I didn't find it, I think it might have been an Epic vid. 

Holdtickler 17 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Here's another that won't fail to inspire anyone:

youtube.com/watch?v=mlsh3_CzWeI&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...