Christmas Crag, Borrowdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aled Williams 16 Dec 2021

Has anyone been to Christmas Crag, Borrowdale ? 

How long does it take to dry after rain ? Any seepage issues ? What's the rock quality like ? 

Thanks 

Andysomething 16 Dec 2021
In reply to Aled Williams:

We went in July so I can't advise on seepage. We had a decent day and it made a welcome change from repeating routes at our more regular venues in Borrowdale.  As I recall the rock was pretty sound, with a mix of smooth slopers and sharp edges, quite three dimensional towards the right and more open further left.  Heathery along the base of the crag not so many visits I guess.  Here's my write up with photos which hopefully will give you some indications.  There's also a video of most of one of the routes being tackled in good order.

https://andysomething.blogspot.com/2017/07/christmas-cracker.html

Post edited at 21:51

Dries quickly, but as has been commented before, 20+ routes in the guidebook translates to about 5 lines actually worth doing.

DC

Andysomething 17 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Yes we managed five on the upper crag, plus the one on the lower crag which was pretty scrappy.  Enjoyed the visit though

Si Withington 18 Dec 2021

It’s ‘okay’ and worth a visit just on the grounds that you haven’t been. Nice location. I remember the routes being short, technically easy for the grade but bold. At least the ones we did. Wouldn’t bother going back to be honest.

You have to walk past a lot of good climbing to get there. 

C Witter 18 Dec 2021

If you've not been there, Goats Crag Watendlath is worth a day. It's quick drying, but possibly windy. Some nice HVS-E1 mileage. Emma Line (HVS) is very good: kind of like a mini Botterill's slab, with some good moves to reach the arete. The Munich Agreement (E1) also has some great climbing, especially the steep lower half. I didn't try the E2, but if you like knarly steep cracks it looks like fun.

Andysomething 28 Dec 2021

See from latest photos you made the visit - how did it go?

Allovesclimbin 28 Dec 2021

Short. West facing. Good rock short . 

OP Aled Williams 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Andysomething:

Went on Christmas day, it was absolutely freezing!

However most of the crag was dry and the rock was sound, especially for a crag that dosent seem to get many ascents. The routes are at the bolder end of the spectrum and very short. 

As mentioned you past a lot of good climbing to get there but the views are fantastic !

Might be a good option for relaxed evenin climbing

DaveHK 29 Dec 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> If you've not been there, Goats Crag Watendlath is worth a day. It's quick drying, but possibly windy. Some nice HVS-E1 mileage. Emma Line (HVS) is very good: kind of like a mini Botterill's slab, with some good moves to reach the arete. The Munich Agreement (E1) also has some great climbing, especially the steep lower half. I didn't try the E2, but if you like knarly steep cracks it looks like fun.

I went there in the summer and really liked it. I backed off the E2, just wasn't feeling the love for it as it's a bit grotty and wobbly in that recess. Enjoyed the rest of them though.

Andysomething 29 Dec 2021

Good effort though.... makes a change from joining the crowds at Stanage.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...