Charnel Stones, Chew Valley alternative approach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Frisby 21 Sep 2020
 Phil West 21 Sep 2020
In reply to George Frisby:

Yeah that’s a good call. The skyline crags are worth a visit too (not all in OTM guide) and you can combine a few crags in a day either from the approach you describe or from Rob’s Rocks and working back along the skyline to Charnel and Duck Stones then down your route. 

kind regards,

Phil

craig h 21 Sep 2020

You could also head up Charnel Clough, which gives an easy Grade 1 scramble to the edge. 

The one you've described is a good way to the Duck Stones and the nearby boulders.

Tom Valentine 21 Sep 2020

Glad to see one of the Chew's best crags getting increased attention, Hopefully a few more photos will add to the attraction.

Graeme Hammond 21 Sep 2020

Great crag we walked out the same way when I went earlier in the year see my post about it: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rocktalk/wilderness_rocks_descent-722242?...

OP George Frisby 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Nice, thanks for cleaning up the routes too. Suprised that The Witch's Hat (HVS 5a) is only HVS, looked like a E2 finger crack on the ab, but looks amazing, would like to go back and try it.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (E2 5c) also looks great, like some kinda gritstone dihedral. 

Will have to head back in the autumn and try them both while they're still nice and clean. 

G

Lyndleme 22 Sep 2020

I agree, it is a very good call already. 

tony howard 25 Sep 2020

Dovestones Skyline Dovestones Skyline

Sorceror's Apprentice is one of Aido Garlick's specialities!

Post edited at 16:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...