Canyon Rib, Aberglaslyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trad Iain 10 Aug 2022

Does anybody have a better approach description for this classic outing in Abergalslyn? 

From what I can gleam from various sources, it's walk alongside the river heading north from AberG Bridge until a boulder with sawn off stakes (metal stakes I presume) and then go beyond this and look back to view the rib.  Follow it down to a point, make a mental note and head toward it.  There is even a suggestion that CR is scratched into the rock, but this comes from an old source and may have worn away.

Any photos would also be massively helpful as well.

Canyon Rib (S)

Many thanks   

In reply to Trad Iain:

I’ve never believed this route actually exists. Apart from the fact the route description indicates some random piece of countryside in no way resembling a crag, I’ve never met anyone who claims to have done it.

jcm

Derek Furze 10 Aug 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Interesting - it has 93 logs!

Mark Haward 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

I remember doing this route in the early 80s and found it very hard to locate then when the tree growth was much lower than it is now. Good luck and sorry I can't help - perhaps consider the locating of it a part of the adventure...

Myfyr Tomos 10 Aug 2022

Done it several times and it is a difficult one to find. Quite a bit of felling and clearance has been done in the last 10 years or so. Nice route and the top pitches are really worthwhile.

ps. the felling may account for the 93 logs Derek refers to...

George_Surf 10 Aug 2022

Yeah I’ve done it. You can clearly see the rib as you’re driving down the Glaslyn towards Natmor. It’s not too far off the road bridge. Can’t remember how I found it but I don’t think it was too difficult. It’s been a while since I’ve done it. The upper part (the rib?) is nice, jutting out above the river 

Rory Shaw 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

I've done it a few years back. It took a bit of sniffing out but I didn't think it was too difficult to find. Personally I thought that it was tricky for a severe but an excellent adventure. Well worth doing

In reply to Derek Furze:

I never allow evidence to affect my beliefs.

jcm

Derek Furze 11 Aug 2022

Excellent!  I shall start a 'jcm for Archbishop of Canterbury' campaign immediately 😁

static266 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

It’s a great route with an exploratory feel and a great position, particularly the top pitch. It’s been a few years but the first pitch is a sharp boulder-like arete about 30m above the path probably a little less than halfway between the bridge and the tunnel. There was a faint zig-zig path in the mud and leaves leaving the main path and required hopping over a couple of fallen trees, I didn’t see any other obvious routes upwards and it only took a couple of minutes to identify it. 

brianjcooper 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

There's a photo in the CC Tremadog guide (2000) between pages 192-193

Not brilliant, but might help. 

Post edited at 12:46
 birdie num num 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

Yes, I've done this route too. A bit broken and vegetated in places. And although it was a while ago, I seem to remember a CR scratched on the rock. 
If you're looking for off the beaten track stuff, another good place in the same area (although it's a bit of a walk-in, is Lliwedd Bychan. Mainly single pitch as I remember, but some nice routes

Mark Kemball 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Trad Iain:

Climbed it a few years back, I don’t remember having much difficulty finding it (used the CC Tremadog guide) however finding our way back down off the back was tricky. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...