Calling sports scientists, or students

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 07 Aug 2019

Hi, as some of you might remember, I have been interested for some time in trying to find out what is true in climbing and what rumour. I'm also interested in how one might teach various things to climbers. One topic I have looked at is whether in general good climbers do place more weight on their feet and if this would be spotted in a simple experiment. The pilot study went okay, given it was based on a simple spring balance, and indicated the answer was possibly yes, and yes it possibly can be spotted - see previous threads for the graph.

Now we (bad climbers like me) have been told for years to put more weight on our feet. If I knew how to do this or what it felt like I would be doing so. So, for the untalented (like me) who lack body awareness, might it be possible to use real time feed back from a load cell and a mobile phone to see if this is enough to force a change in body tension or whatever it takes to put more weight on the feet?

Tindeq have promised to let me have a load cell that can do this. So, I would like some help from someone who would like to make the measurements at their local wall. This could be just out of interest, or as part of a dissertation (I'm an academic, but not a sports scientist). However, it would have to be done well within a protocol that we would work on together.

If you might be interested, please email me directly, rather than replying to this thread. If you have questions, please use this thread.

Thank you.

Post edited at 10:33
 tjekel 07 Aug 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Off topic: I managed to get more weight on my feet, some 20 kg's in fact. Sadly, I didn't get any better. Do you have an explanation for that as well? 

petegunn 07 Aug 2019
In reply to David Coley:

Sent you an email. Please check your junk mail as ukc stuff often goes in it.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...