Breche - meaning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 26 Sep 2021

Hi all 

This weekend I was trying to locate a route with the following description (no topo available).

The route takes the easiest line up to the breche north of the summit from the north west side and the easiest line up the ridge. 250m AD. 

I'm assuming breche is French for breech, gap, opening, but I'm not 100% sure.  How would you describe what to look for ? 

Thanks 

Post edited at 09:06
 joeramsay 26 Sep 2021
In reply to Inhambane:

I'd be looking for a col/saddle/other pass-like feature I think

Robert Durran 26 Sep 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

> I'd be looking for a col/saddle/other pass-like feature I think

I usually think of a breche as being sort of more dramatic than a col or saddle - perhaps more of a gash in a ridge.

mountainbagger 26 Sep 2021
In reply to joeramsay:

> I'd be looking for a col/saddle/other pass-like feature I think

I think so too. I'm half french, but not fluent; however, I'm not sure they'd use the term brèche if they meant something smaller like a notch in the ridge, so I think you are likely correct.

Edit: just seen Robert's reply...it's possible they mean something more dramatic than a notch (in my opinion), but not an actual recognised pass/col, for which the word "col" might have been used.

Edit (again!). Like this: Google images for "breche de la meije"

Post edited at 09:29
OP Inhambane 26 Sep 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

nice, well we certainly didn't find something like that, so we were probably off route 

Rob Parsons 26 Sep 2021
In reply to Inhambane:

One well-known example of a dramatic breche is 'La Breche de Roland' near Gavarnie.

What was your route?

Rog Wilko 26 Sep 2021
In reply to Inhambane:

Try googling Breche de Roland.

OP Inhambane 26 Sep 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

The route we were trying to find is called Angel's Steps in Wadi Rum. All we had to go off was that one sentence.  We were doing it so we could abseil down a different route to retrieve some gear we left behind the week before.  We are now thinking we may have done a new or at least unrecorded route to the summit. Because there was a definite breche and we didn't climb to it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...