Bowerman's Nose, Dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 27 Nov 2020

Does anyone know why there is a universal acceptance that this shouldn't be climbed on? As far as I know it's not in any guidebooks, but there are no access issues. It seems that just this one piece of rock has been selected to be left virgin, although I don't doubt that it has been climbed, although not by me!

Kemics 27 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I once climbed it, was out for a walk and the footpath goes right under it. I looked it up after i got home and rather guilty saw climbing on it was banned. 

A brief google and i cant see any reason why, id guess fragility? Maybe someone is worried about it getting toppled over. 

probablylost 27 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It's in guide books (in so far as to say it's banned) but under Hayne Down. 

Bobling 28 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It's on the front cover of a couple of Geology textbooks I have - could that be something to do with it?  I'm asking sincerely BTW : )

TMM 28 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

The rock has significant cultural importance to local indigenous people of Devon.

For generations it has been part of our creation story as the rocks bear an uncanny likeness to the first good who turned apples into cider.

It is believed that if the summit is desecrated by one from beyond the bounds of the Tamar or Exeter we may have to start putting jam on our scones before the clotted cream.

There has been a ban for at least 30 years as I understand the landowner doesn’t want the rock to be climbed. It is an ‘iconic’ rock formation for the Dartmoor area and would become a magnet for the Instagram hungry poser/climber. It is regularly climbed but done so fairly discreetly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...