Bouldering in North York Moors, Malton and Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sunny123 04 Aug 2019

Hi, I'll be camping in and around

North York Moors from the 19th - 23rd of August,

Malton from 24th - 26th of August and

Lake District from 27th - 29th of August .

I climb at around 6B/6C indoor and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good boulder crags and campsites in these areas that make it practical for climbing.

Bear in mind I'm a relative beginner to outdoors

Any suggestions for Sport/Bouldering/Campsites in those areas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post.

Post edited at 20:42
 guisboro andy 05 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

Theres no sport climbing on nymoors, depends what sort of camping you want? Bouldering all over.

Climber_Bill 05 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

Malton is about 20 miles from the Bridestones on the top of the North York Moors. Some good bouldering. A mat would be useful.

TJB.

e.ms355 06 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

Lots of smaller bouldering spots on the moors but could be worth having a guide book as at this time of year the bracken will be quite high and navigating paths/ routes to bouldering can be hard work! Wainstones is relatively easy to get to and mix of trad and bouldering.
A lot bigger venues if you head inland towards the dales a bit but that's 1hr/1.5hrs from Malton way.

There's also a small crag about 20mins drive from Malton that's fun for an evening play around -Ravenswick Quarry. Just look out for ticks, we had some trouble with them this time last year.

sunny123 12 Aug 2019
In reply to guisboro andy:

Any advice for decent bouldering for beginners ? North york moors and yorkshire dales ?

Jon Stewart 12 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

The best bouldering in the Lakes, and among the best in the country, is on the coast at St Bees.

youtube.com/watch?v=yHX3nDkUXKE&

guisboro andy 13 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

there is a bouldering guide, but you probably wont be able to get hold of. If you have alook at http://www.climbonline.co.uk/north_york_moors1.htm you will probably get some idea of where to go.

Simon Caldwell 13 Aug 2019
In reply to sunny123:

> Any advice for decent bouldering for beginners ?

https://unknownstones.com/

has a few. I'm a bouldering coward but recently had a good fun day at  Gate House crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...