Borrowdale - a fine Saturday afternoon, June 15th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A few observations:

1. The lunchtime rain further east didn't bother Borrowdale.

2. The minor rockfall at Car Park Crag hasn't affected the parking and it seems an over-reaction to block off the parking spaces. Would have been better to put the barriers by the fence as protection from further rolling stones, then keep the parking open.

3. Crags were dry, Shepherds virtually deserted apart from the odd team, surprisingly no seepage, sunny walls.

4. Black crag full sunshine.

5. Cafe almost deserted sadly. Used to be a hub of activity. Hopefully that will change as the weather picks up. We are certainly having a cold and damp run just now.

6. Unfortunately, noticed a few black bags of dogsh1t at Car Park Crag, Shepherds car park and Shepherds base of crag, plus someone had sh1t at base of a popular route. What is the world coming to? Very sad to see but seems par for the course these days.

DC

Lord_ash2000 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Ah, I did wonder what all those logs had been put across that carpark for. There were showers early on but held off in the afternoon, Bowderstone was dry although they have made a right mess of the new steps they have installed. 

Looks more like the fire escape of a light industrial unit than something designed to fit in with the natural environment. 

Post edited at 12:01
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

"Looks more like the fire escape of a light industrial unit than something designed to fit in with the natural environment." 

Does anything get better??

DC

Mark Eddy 16 Jun 2019

I thought the rockfall by Black crag parking was actually slightly further along the road towards Grange? I parked there the day NT started to clear it up and they were happy for us to be using the parking area and were indeed using it too.

Surely the logs are in place to block the parking and push us into the reasonably nearby and rather expensive NT car park

nathanshaw 17 Jun 2019

I was wondering why the parking was cordoned off. Had a great evening climbing super direct on Black Crag - amazed no one else was out on the crag!

Rog Wilko 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Surely the logs are in place to block the parking and push us into the reasonably nearby and rather expensive NT car park

Time for some guerrilla action to relocate the logs?

NT parking free for members. Don't most local climbers join for that reason and get the stately homes as a free extra?

petegunn 17 Jun 2019

Found this info on it:

Mr Brammall added: “I have designed a subtle detail in to the treads - a smooth area for the climbers who use the stone for bouldering to hang from, so that they can warm up before venturing on the stone, this has been a bit of a tradition with the climbers that we wanted to maintain”.

The finished ladder is 9 metres long, weighing 1.85 tons, with a total of 30 treads; made from galvanised steel with a patinated lacquer to give a mottled grey appearance.

In reply to petegunn:

Will reserve judgement until I get a look, but sounds completely out of keeping.

DC

> A few observations:

> 1. The lunchtime rain further east didn't bother Borrowdale.

Beautiful on the coast all day

> 2. The minor rockfall at Car Park Crag hasn't affected the parking and it seems an over-reaction to block off the parking spaces. Would have been better to put the barriers by the fence as protection from further rolling stones, then keep the parking open.

Haven't seen this yet

> 3. Crags were dry, Shepherds virtually deserted apart from the odd team, surprisingly no seepage, sunny walls.

Sadly the quick hit default venue has changed to somewhere far inferior. 

> 4. Black crag full sunshine.

Catches all tha afternoon sun going. 

> 5. Cafe almost deserted sadly. Used to be a hub of activity. Hopefully that will change as the weather picks up. We are certainly having a cold and damp run just now.

See above. The clamour towards the saga crag has really hit the cafe. It no longer stays open early evenings. Perhaps Yolande could install a trailer down St John's? 

> 6. Unfortunately, noticed a few black bags of dogsh1t at Car Park Crag, Shepherds car park and Shepherds base of crag, plus someone had sh1t at base of a popular route. What is the world coming to? Very sad to see but seems par for the course these days.

Not great but if the cafe is shut the toilets are also shut. 

> DC

The solution lies with the crag users, who are currently choosing to come to the lake district, with all its beauty, to climb in a rubbish dump. 

Madness. 

Lord_ash2000 17 Jun 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Interesting. I did look at the steps and it's correct that there is a smooth bit at the back, but you can't beat wood for hanging off in my view. 

The mottled grey paint is a bit disappointing, I genuinely thought it was just a rough undercoat before they finished it off in a dark green or brown paint. 

It's basically just two big I-beams with perforated steel steps between them and some steel railings. I took a few photos and put them on my Instagram the other day and general response from climbers has been they look crap. you can see them here. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByvRQzaD9gT

You'll also notice a large slab of rock on the floor which came off the top of the stone where they have fitted the new steps. I do hope that is going to get cleaned up and a note made that it now only weighs 1999 tons or whatever it's supposed to be. 

Post edited at 16:05

Looking at your picture, whoever installed that is lacking a certain aestheticism and design ability. Must go and take a look. Agree Yolande cafe at Bram would help her.

DC

krikoman 17 Jun 2019

Abandon ship!

> It's basically just two big I-beams with perforated steel steps between them and some steel railings. I took a few photos and put them on my Instagram the other day and general response from climbers has been they look crap. you can see them here. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByvRQzaD9gT

Being provocative, have you ever stopped to think what the ladder users might think of the permachalk? 

Live and let live. 

Rog Wilko 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Sadly the quick hit default venue has changed to somewhere far inferior. 

> The solution lies with the crag users, who are currently choosing to come to the lake district, with all its beauty, to climb in a rubbish dump. 

Are we referring to a bolted venue in St John's Vale?

In reply to Rog Wilko:

If the cap fits... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...